John, a notorious copywriting legend and pioneer of Web marketing, has been teaching hot-shot online entrepreneurs how to write sales copy for 20 years. His books are primary go-to resources worldwide. And thousands have taken his Simple Writing System course. His motto: Nothing gets sold until the copy gets written.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- MS Word – John’s small business resource
- Think and Grow Rich – John’s top business book
- The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Getting Your Shit Together – John’s bestselling book
- John’s website
3 Key Points:
- Don’t know where to start? Break your company’s message into bits and pieces.
- Always know the choices you have and the consequences that come with those choices.
- Nurture networking by offering value to others.
- DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:04] – John is a veteran of advertising and marketing
- [01:12] – He started his work as a recognized copywriter way before the Internet
- [01:26] – He worked with savvy entrepreneurs and corporations for direct mail, ads, and print
- [02:02] – John jumped on the bandwagon when the Internet began because there was nobody using direct response tactics
- [02:11] – His first book, Kick-Ass Copywriting Secrets of a Marketing Rebel became a go-to book for early online entrepreneurs
- [02:40] – His second career was in speaking, coaching and mentoring people
- [03:15] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: “The key to becoming successful in any kind of entrepreneurial venture is to be able to write a simple sales message that gets your point across”
- [03:56] – If you don’t know how to write, break your message down into 4 simple steps
- Here’s what I am
- Here’s what I have for you
- Why it matters
- Here’s what to do now
- [04:38] – “You Copy” is a copy that is aimed at the needy heart of the person you’re approaching
- [05:11] – John teaches people to find out what their prospects need, explain how they can help, and what they should do next
- [06:11] – Everything starts with introducing yourself, explaining what you have, and giving people easy steps to follow
- [07:25] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Many decades ago, John became a freelance copywriter and worked with large corporations. He wanted to be on the A-List of freelance copywriters, but he found the work boring. The choice he had to make was whether to leave large corporations with high pay, or cater to smaller ventures with less pay, but with fun work.
- [09:47] – It was a hard choice for John because it involved money and he had recently become broke
- [11:03] – “It’s all about choice. It’s about having to figure out what your choices are”
- [12:06] – Fear is the overriding factor in most entrepreneurs’ decisions
- [13:10] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “The vast network I’ve built up over multiple decades”
- [15:06] – Sometimes, people don’t know how to keep a network
- [15:40] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “A clue”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Just do it. See what happens”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I’ve always been good with empathy”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – MS Word
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Think and Grow Rich – “For me, it was all about the concept of the mastermind and the concept of goal-setting”
- [21:08] – Connect with John on his blog
- [21:52] – John’s Simple Writing System
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!