John-Daniel is the co-founder & CEO of Raygun. Raygun is a software diagnostics and operational intelligence company with thousands of customers in more than 100 countries. He runs several businesses, has invested in many, and has a strong passion for the technology and business.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Ray Gun – JD’s company
3 Key Points:
- It takes 20 years to build a reputation and 30 minutes to destroy it.
- Fire someone the first time you think about it.
- Predictable revenue is a godsend for entrepreneurs—find a way to get some.
- ZipRecruiter: If you’re ready to start hiring, then ZipRecruiter is where you can find your perfect candidate! Try ZipRecruiter for free today at ziprecruiter.com/fire!
- Magoosh: Top-quality online lesson videos and practice questions that will help you prep for your next test! Visit Magoosh.com and enter promo code FIRE to get 20% off!
- iDoneThis: Easily manage your team! Visit iDoneThis.com/fire for a no-risk 14-day free trial – no credit card needed.
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:02] – JD shares his story
- [01:50] – Based in New Zealand
- [03:17] – How JD makes money today
- [03:58] – The ideal Ray Gun customer
- [05:26] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: A poor investment made years ago
- [07:49] – Learn to look back positively on bad experiences
- [08:22] – Fire somebody the first time you think about it
- [10:04] – Everyone that gets fired isn’t malicious or incompetent — they’re just not the right fit
- [11:14] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Moving from annual sales to the monthly subscription model
- [14:28] – Never forget: focus is the key
- [15:21] –Biggest weakness? — Feeling guilty
- [16:51] –Biggest strength? – Persistence coupled with learning
- [17:31] – What has JD most fired up today? – Cracking into the US sales scene
- [18:18] – Why Ray Gun chose Seattle
- [21:39] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – Nothing
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – You’re the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – Running
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – OneNote
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Creativity Inc
- 23:24 – JDTrask@raygun.com
- [23:46] – It’s about the people you meet on the journey, so appreciate everyone you encounter
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Funnel On Fire: Create a funnel that converts!