John Hawkins is an entrepreneur working with companies to develop high performance teams that deliver extraordinary results. He helps companies attract, develop and retain incredible people increasing execution, effectiveness, and excellence!
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
LinkedIn – John’s small business resource
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up – John’s Top Business Book
Building Effective Leaders – John’s website
Connect with John on LinkedIn
The Mastery Journal – Master Productivity, Discipline, and Focus in 100 days!
How To Finally Win – Learn how to create your dream life one step at a time!
3 Value Bombs
1) Collect and write down your thoughts and use that to create a strategy.
2) Life happens — remember that this too shall pass (whatever it is).
3) Don’t let one failed ah-ha moment keep you down.
DesignCrowd: If you’re not much of a designer, but are looking for ideas for your next logo, websites design or even your new business cards, then DesignCrowd can help! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire for a special one $100 VIP offer for Fire Nation!
I Love Franchising: If you’re tired of Corporate America and want to step into owning your own business, then the time to make a move is NOW. …And why not make that move into franchising? Erik of I Love Franchising has personally helped over 1,000 people transition out of Corporate American and into Franchise Ownership, and you can take your first step towards doing the same today. Visit ILoveFranchising.com/fire to download Erik’s free eBook, The Franchising Playbook, today!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[00:54] – John is 49 and lives in Florida with his family
[01:23] – He has a great life and is enjoying it
[01:41] – His area of expertise is in helping people define focus and strategy
[02:22] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: There is an overabundance of “experts” on the Internet and there’s so much fake noise around — be careful who you associate yourself with
[03:05] – Sit down and write out your thoughts; select what’s most important and use that to make a strategy
[04:08] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Last year, John endured Hurricane Matthew. John has experience in the navy and in firefighting so he was confident he’d make it through. During the hurricane he went out to check on his neighbor; when he was outside a tree branch hit him in the eye, which resulted in a detached retina
[04:45] – Four to five days after that, he spoke at an event and he could still see; by the end of the event he was blind in one eye
[06:09] – By December, his eye was at its worst
[07:53] – JLD was also forced to leave Puerto Rico because of the past hurricanes that left tons of damage across the island
[08:43] – “This too shall pass”
[09:49] – Realize that some things are out of your control; in times like these, focus on what is in your control
[10:21] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: John works with big companies that won’t hire him because he doesn’t have the right credentials. They, however, still bring him on to help with strategy. One day, after a whole day of presentations, John went to the front and told the group to spend at least 5 minutes talking about what they need and that John would develop solutions for it
[11:49] – Instead of presenting what he believed was best, he asked for their insights so that he could approach the group and meet them where they are
[13:14] – Don’t let one failure keep you down
[13:28] – “Don’t be afraid to try new stuff”
[14:02] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “It’s people”
[16:20] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Pure fear”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Define your core values, live them, and never stray from them”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I say ‘Hi’ to everybody”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – LinkedIn
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
[20:20] – John’s core values are discipline, integrity, servanthood, and humility
[20:35] – Don’t lose your soul in the pursuit of money and success
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!