Gretchen Rubin is the author of several blockbuster bestsellers like The Happiness Project and is co-host of the award-winning podcast “Happier”. Her newest book, The Four Tendencies, was an instant New York Times bestseller. It explores a personality framework that can transform our lives.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- The Happiness Project and The Four Tendencies – Gretchen’s books
- Gretchen’s website
- Free Podcast Course – Learn to Create, Grow, and Monetize Your Podcast!
3 Key Points:
- People all have different tendencies; it’s like one’s personality.
- It’s important to know your tendencies so that you can adjust whatever is not working for you.
- Understanding a person’s tendencies will help you communicate better with that person.
- Gusto: Gusto makes payroll, benefits, and HR easy for modern small businesses! And right now Gusto is offering Fire Nation an exclusive, limited-time deal. Sign up today and you’ll get 3 months FREE once you run your first payroll! Visit Gusto.com/fire to sign up today!
- DesignCrowd: If you’re not much of a designer, but are looking for ideas for your next logo, websites design or even your new business cards, then DesignCrowd can help! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire for a special one $100 VIP offer for Fire Nation!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:37] – Gretchen is a writer, podcaster, blogger, and speaker
- [01:45] – Her big subject is human nature
- 02:33 – She was on episode 254 and 1037 of Entrepreneurs On Fire
- 03:24 – Gretchen was the keynote speaker at Podcast Movement
- 03:45 – Her book, The Four Tendencies, discusses how people respond to expectations—both inner and outer
- [04:12] – A person is either an upholder, a questioner, an obliger or a rebel
- [05:49] – The rebel tendency is the least common one to have
- [07:39] – When you understand your tendencies, you can see clearly what you need to fix
- [08:18] – Being an obliger is the most common tendency to have
- [08:38] – Get accountability if you’re an obliger
- [10:04] – “Questioners need reasons”
- [10:57] – Questioners want to be clear about why they should be doing something
- [13:12] – Not following through may be because of a person’s personality
- [14:41] – There’s no one answer for not following through
- [16:51] – Upholders are viewed as rigid people
- [17:21] – Questioners are the people who keep everyone on track
- [20:41] – For obligers, the biggest revelation they have is their need for accountability partners
- [21:08] – In dealing with rebels, try to understand where they’re coming from
- [22:10] – For questioners, realize that there is a deep justification for what they do that comes from within
- [24:27] – “Knowing how people breakdown can be helpful when you’re trying to communicate”
- 25:11 – Take Gretchen’s Quiz to find out your tendency at Happiercast.com/Quiz
- 25:26 – Get The Four Tendencies on Amazon
- 26:38 – Connect with Gretchen on her website
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Real Revenue: Follow JLD’s step-by-step system and turn ANY idea into a revenue generating MACHINE!