John has led award winning companies with revenues in excess of $100 million; while struggling with crippling depression. His book: Crazy, Who Me? chronicles his life and journey overcoming depression.
EOF Value Bombs – Download John’s workshop PDF: R.E.S.T.O.R.E. Understanding and Overcoming Depression
JohnPanigas.com – Visit John’s website to learn more
3 Value Bombs
1) The most impactful cause of depression is environment.
2) Gratitude is EVERYTHING.
3) Focus on what’s good in your life.
ZipRecruiter: When it comes to hiring, you can save time and get more qualified candidates fast with ZipRecruiter. And right now, you can try ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter.com/fire! ZipRecruiter. The smartest way to hire.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Overcoming the ‘Beast’ of Depression as an Entrepreneurial Leader with John Panigas
[01:17] – John shares something interesting about himself most people don’t know.
- John wanted to be a pilot when he was young, and he still wants to pursue this dream.
[03:10] – Give us a quick summary of your entrepreneurial successes.
- John and his brother took over their family business about 35 years ago. After 20 years he left and decided to become a consultant for family and small businesses.
- When he got into the depths of his depression, his therapist advised him to write how he felt. He knew that he had a message and he wanted to share it. That’s why he wrote his book Crazy, Who Me?
[06:07] – Leaders deal with depression, too. Talk about the causes, as well as the effects, depression has on leaders.
- The most impactful cause of depression is environment.
[09:13] – Give us an example so we can identify whether we’re suffering from depression.
- People who tend to be really, really quiet, or people who are always tired, or people who are behaving differently
- 27% of entrepreneurs are dealing with depression.
- Sometimes, the most effective friend, colleague, or team member is the one who is struggling.
[13:47] – What is the best thing one can do if they notice somebody showing these signs?
- Conversation; you need to educate yourself first in order to understand them and learn how to talk to them.
[16:09] – We all deal with a negative internal narrative; what are the best steps we can take to deal with our own self talk.
- Number 1: Gratitude is EVERYTHING. Think about the things that are really good in your life.
- Second is exercise. While I run, my narrative is positive.
- You have to fight depression – don’t live in it.
[20:46] – JLD shares why both The Mastery Journal and The Freedom Journal start with the same statement: I am grateful for: _________
[22:20] – The R.E.S.T.O.R.E. methodology – John walks us through it
- This is a progression that needs to be followed in order.
- Realization – internal acceptance of who you are.
- Education – we can go online to educate ourselves.
- Sharing – this is hard, but you need to share what you feel.
[26:16] – John shares a story about his tech group in Canada.
[27:56] – John continues discussing RESTORE.
- Test-Drive – there are different opportunities now for getting better. Try it all.
- Opting-in – channel yourself to get better.
- Routine – it is critical to develop a routine.
[32:00] – John shares that he prepared for this interview while running this morning
[32:52] – John continues discussing RESTORE.
- Evaluate – evaluate how you’re feeling and meditate on it.
[35:41]- One key take and John’s final call to action for Fire Nation
- EOF Value Bombs – Download John’s workshop PDF: R.E.S.T.O.R.E. Understanding and Overcoming Depression
- JohnPanigas.com – Visit John’s website to learn more
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!