Josh Rivedal is the founder and creative director of The i’Mpossible Project, an organization that educates, entertains, and engages on social justice issues such as mental health, suicide, and diversity.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Elevatr.com – Joshua’s small business resource
History of The Arabs – Joshua’s Top Business Book
i’Mpossible Project – Joshua’s website
The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
Free Podcast Course – Learn to Create, Grow, and Monetize your podcast!
3 Value Bombs
1) Approach situations with curiosity – it’ll take you into the way of empathy.
2) Learn to reframe your failure as the way to success.
3) Pivoting is a part of life and your business — don’t be afraid if a pivot is what you need to move forward.
FreshBooks: FreshBooks helps you score daily wins in your battle against paperwork! To receive your free 30-day trial – no credit card required – visit FreshBooks.com/fire and enter Entrepreneurs On Fire in the “How Did You Hear About Us” Section!
DesignCrowd: If you’re not much of a designer, but are looking for ideas for your next logo, websites design or even your new business cards, then DesignCrowd can help! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire for a special one $100 VIP offer for Fire Nation!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[00:58] – Joshua is originally from New Jersey and grew up in a very difficult environment
[01:16] – His father and grandfather both took their lives around the ages 50 and 60
[01:24] – He used to be a professional actor and playwright
[02:10] – His area of expertise is in storytelling
[03:16] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: Approach things with curiosity
[03:39] – Approaching with curiosity will help you dive back into empathy
[04:33] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Seven years ago, Joshua got involved in the world of theater. He was doing workshops in New York and really wanted to achieve something great. He worked with a lawyer, spent $9K from his father’s estate to create the business, but suddenly realized he didn’t actually want to follow through on it
[06:00] – Not all of your ideas are good ones
[06:05] – Reframe failure
[07:30] – Be prepared to learn from your failures
[08:02] – Be vulnerable and ask what you need to improve on
[08:42] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Joshua’s ah-ha moment was a pivoting moment. After he lost money with that initial endeavor, he realized he didn’t want to do business in a traditional sense. He had the idea to do theater with the heart of advocacy, and that’s when he started the i’Mpossible Project
[12:13] – Don’t be afraid to pivot
[12:28] – “Embrace the fear”
[12:45] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’m going to see Hamilton tonight”
[13:14] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I think it was putting myself in a box and accepting the world’s view”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Don’t just treat people the way you want to be treated; treat them the way they want to be treated”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I think it’s curiosity”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Elevatr.com
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – History of The Arabs – “it’s another play on empathy”
[16:32] – “Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help”
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!