Josh is the founder and creative director of The i’Mpossible Project, an organization that educates, entertains, and engages on social justice issues such as mental health, suicide, and diversity.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Elevatr.com – Joshua’s small business resource
- History of The Arabs – Joshua’s Top Business Book
- i’Mpossible Project – Joshua’s website
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- Free Podcast Course – Learn to Create, Grow, and Monetize your podcast!
3 Key Points:
- Approach situations with curiosity – it’ll take you into the way of empathy.
- Learn to reframe your failure as the way to success.
- Pivoting is a part of life and your business — don’t be afraid if a pivot is what you need to move forward.
- FreshBooks: FreshBooks helps you score daily wins in your battle against paperwork! To receive your free 30-day trial – no credit card required – visit FreshBooks.com/fire and enter Entrepreneurs On Fire in the “How Did You Hear About Us” Section!
- DesignCrowd: If you’re not much of a designer, but are looking for ideas for your next logo, websites design or even your new business cards, then DesignCrowd can help! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire for a special one $100 VIP offer for Fire Nation!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:58] – Joshua is originally from New Jersey and grew up in a very difficult environment
- [01:16] – His father and grandfather both took their lives around the ages 50 and 60
- [01:24] – He used to be a professional actor and playwright
- [02:10] – His area of expertise is in storytelling
- [03:16] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: Approach things with curiosity
- [03:39] – Approaching with curiosity will help you dive back into empathy
- [04:33] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Seven years ago, Joshua got involved in the world of theater. He was doing workshops in New York and really wanted to achieve something great. He worked with a lawyer, spent $9K from his father’s estate to create the business, but suddenly realized he didn’t actually want to follow through on it
- [06:00] – Not all of your ideas are good ones
- [06:05] – Reframe failure
- [07:30] – Be prepared to learn from your failures
- [08:02] – Be vulnerable and ask what you need to improve on
- 08:42 – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Joshua’s ah-ha moment was a pivoting moment. After he lost money with that initial endeavor, he realized he didn’t want to do business in a traditional sense. He had the idea to do theater with the heart of advocacy, and that’s when he started the i’Mpossible Project
- [12:13] – Don’t be afraid to pivot
- [12:28] – “Embrace the fear”
- [12:45] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’m going to see Hamilton tonight”
- [13:14] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I think it was putting myself in a box and accepting the world’s view”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Don’t just treat people the way you want to be treated; treat them the way they want to be treated”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I think it’s curiosity”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Elevatr.com
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – History of The Arabs – “it’s another play on empathy”
- [16:32] – “Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help”
- 17:02 – Connect with Joshua on his website
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Webinar Course: Create a Webinar that converts!