Ken is a high-energy former engineer, now running a cleaning company. SMART goal-setting was Ken’s catalyst for shrinking his work week by 2 days without sacrificing income. Now, he re-invests his time into coaching, helping Dads connect with their kids, and spending more time with his own family of six.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Business Calendar 2 – Ken’s small business resource
- The Choice – Ken’s Top Business Book
- Dadnamics.com – Ken’s website
- Connect with Ken via email
- The Mastery Journal – Master Productivity, Discipline and Focus in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Share your stories with the world—it is within us to connect with stories.
- Leave a legacy for the next generation.
- Distraction is one significant barrier to reaching your goal.
- Constant Contact: See how you can be a marketer: sign up for a free trial today at ConstantContact.com/podcast!
- City National Bank: Looking for financial resources to help get your business to that next level? Visit CNB.com/fire! City National Bank member FDIC.
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:54] – Ken has always considered himself a very creative guy
- [01:09] – He pursued engineering even though it was NOT his passion
- [01:30] – He has been married almost 14 years and is a father of 4
- [02:19] – Ken’s expertise is in creativity
- [02:28] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Create stories—use your imagination to create stories as much as you possibly can
- [02:57] – “People are designed to hear and engage with stories”
- [03:13] – Creating stories opened the door for Ken to find his passion for helping dads connect better with their children
- [04:12] – “We connect with stories”
- [04:47] – What was your goal for The Freedom Journal and how did you crush it? Ken created a story to become his legacy in the future
- [06:10] – Ken shares the story he created
- [08:03] – JLD shares a story about his grandfather, John Dumas
- [09:30] – Ken has accomplished 3 goals for his journal: buy back 1 day of his life, expand his network of influencers, and publish a blog every Friday
- [12:58] – How do you define Productivity? “How do I perform today? vs. What my goal was”
- [13:28] – Ken struggles with his creative ideas
- [14:28] – How do you define Discipline? “Are my actions matching my words?”
- [15:03] – Ken struggles with having the discipline to wake up in the morning and with distractions
- [15:28] – JLD talks about Ruggie, an alarm that goes off when you stand on it
- [16:16] – How do you define FOCUS? “Are you completely [and] intensely thinking and acting on one thing at a time?”
- [16:47] – Ken’s struggle with focus is in being easily distracted
- [17:45] – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days with The Mastery Journal!
- [18:18] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “The belief that I could succeed in my own business”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Winners never quit and quitters never win”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I have so many ideas that come in and I just need a way to capture those ideas”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Business Calendar 2
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Choice – “it changed my life”
- [20:56] – Get a FREE resource from Ken: How to Ignite Your Freedom Journal on KenCarfagno.com/IgniteFJ
- [21:50] – Connect with Ken via email
- [21:58] – Check out Ken’s site: Dadnamics.com
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!