Jason has been an entrepreneur since age 12 when he sold TicTacs on the school bus. He owns 3 restaurants in Phoenix, AZ with a total team of over 150. Over the past year he has used The Freedom Journal to open his third restaurant, start a leadership blog and create an online business.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Jason shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:06] – Jason has been married for 20 years to his high school sweetheart
- [01:14] – He started listening to EOFire a year ago
- [01:40] – He hopes to create ripples and pay it forward
- [01:58] – There are people who are entrepreneurs from day one and there are people who pivot to become entrepreneurs
- [02:33] – Jason’s area of expertise is in leadership
- [02:37] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Communicate expectations and give constant feedback. “If you see it, say it.”
- [03:26] – What was your goal for The Freedom Journal and how did you crush it? “My initial goal for The Freedom Journal was one thing: to get organized. Once I started following the process, I decided to actually use The Freedom Journal and note the way the plan is laid out to help me open up my 3rd Culver’s restaurant”
- [04:06] – Jason’s accomplishments in 2016:
- Started his leadership blog
- Wrote a short ebook, 11 Steps to Building a Better Team Culture
- Created a 90-Day New Hire Member Success Workbook for all team members of his restaurants
- Became a volunteer instructor to help improve his public speaking with the Young Entrepreneurs Academy
- Joined Facebook and Twitter to build audience and credibility
- Launched an online business called Culture Cards
- Built his first website
- Built his 3rd Culver’s restaurant
- [05:21] – The Freedom Journal laid out the plan and gave Jason accountability, which made it his perfect partner for achieving his goals in 2016
- [06:37] – How do you define Productivity? “To me, productivity is the right things done at the right time. It’s working up and not down”
- [06:54] – Jason’s biggest struggle was to not work down the whole day
- [07:20] – Work on your business, not in your business
- [07:43] – How do you define Discipline? “It’s doing the right thing, the right way, at the right time”
- [08:10] – “Grinders win”
- [09:08] – Jason’s biggest struggle with discipline is finishing his current project before starting another one
- 09:41 – JLD and Jason talk about Nick Saban, the head coach of the University of Alabama football team
- [10:45] – How do you define FOCUS? “I try to live by the quote, ‘There’s a remarkable difference between 99% and 100% commitment.’ To me, focus is being 100% committed and 100% engaged to the task at hand”
- [11:17] – Jason’s struggle with focus is that he allows too many interruptions throughout the day
- [11:40] – The Freedom Journal helped Jason so much through his morning and nightly routine
- [13:15] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “My high school guidance counselor told me I had to go to college”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “It’s not about you. If you can help others succeed and achieve their dreams, you’ll achieve yours along the way”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I’m a grinder”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Workflowy
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Rhinoceros Success and any book written by John Gordon
- [16:13] – 2016 has been Jason’s most productive year by far
- [16:18] – “If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse”
- 16:30 – Email Jason at email@example.com
- 16:38 – Geta PDF copy of Jason’s ebook, 11 Steps to Building a Better Team Culture at CultureCards.org/Fire
3 Key Points:
- Entrepreneurs aren’t always born – they can also be made.
- Wake up and do the daily grind of tasks that lead to your success.
- Always give 100% commitment and engagement to the task at hand.
- Workflowy – Jason’s small business resource
- Rhinoceros Success and any book written by John Gordon – Jason’s Top Business Books
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- Culture Cards – Jason’s website
- Email Jason at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Mastery Journal – Master Productivity, Discipline and Focus in 100 days!
- Athletic Greens: The most complete whole food supplement on the market. If you check out AG, you’ll receive 20 single serve travel packs valued at $99 completely free with your first order. Just visit athleticgreens.com/fire!
- Host Gator: With HostGator, having a website is easy AND affordable. Visit HostGator.com/fire for 60% off today!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: A 15-day course that will share how to create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!
4) Free Podcast Course: Create, Grow and monetize YOUR Podcast!