KJ Blattenbauer is a business strategist and publicist with more than 22 years of experience helping entrepreneurs, small business owners, and influencers receive the recognition and revenue their dreams deserve.
HARO – A Source for Every Story
Gift for Nation – A free calendar filled with about 300 days – or 52 straight weeks – of free content!
3 Value Bombs
1) PR is one of the best ways to build your brand and get the word out about your business.
2) Key messages are the most important and impactful words that you’ll use to tell your brand story. Make it easy to understand.
3) Nothing matters more than your reputation.
ZipRecruiter: When it comes to hiring, you can save time and get more qualified candidates fast with ZipRecruiter. Try ZipRecruiter for free today at ZipRecruiter.com/fire! ZipRecruiter. The smartest way to hire.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: How to drive sales without spending a cent on advertising with KJ Blattenbauer
[1:13] – KJ shares something interesting about herself that most people don’t know.
[2:47] – The one thing every entrepreneur needs to know about PR
- PR is one of the best ways to build your brand and get the word out about your business.
- It’s the art of commencing an audience outside of your usual circle of influence to promote your idea, purchase of product, support your precision, or recognize your expertise.
- It can be done by,
- Immediate pitches
- Appearing on Podcasts
- Putting up press releases
- Using influencers to share your message
- What PR isn’t is anything advertising paid advertorials, or anything that feels slimy or deceptive. It’s just positive promotion or word of mouth and third party validation of your business.
[4:37] – How do you properly position yourself for seven-figures (or more) in sales?
- Just follow 5 simple Steps ( 5 P’s)
- POSITION – Clearly communicate your value preposition to your target audience in clear and concise terms so nothing is lost in translation.
- PLAN – Laying out a strategic plan and sticking to it. Know exactly where you want to go and the steps you need to take in order to get there. Since the layout is in front of you, you don’t waiver from this plan. There is no getting distracted – you plan towards your goal.
- PROMOTE – Once clear on positioning and a plan is in place you are now ready to promote. Pitch your brand and yourself to everyone in your target audience who reads, watches or listens to you – no exceptions.
- PERSEVERE – When it gets discouraging, you just can’t quit. If you want to be successful, you’ve got to keep going; you have to persevere.
- PUBLICIZE – Promote coverage non-stop and literally put it everywhere. On social media, blogs, website, marketing materials on other people website, email blast to customers…
[9:53] – What is the key to key messages that attract your target audience?
- It’s Brevity. Key messages are the most important and impactful words that you’ll use to tell your brand story. Make it easy to understand.
- Fewer numbers – No more than 3 or 4 key messages in every conversation.
- Concise – About 1 sentence you can deliver in 78 seconds
- Free of JARGON – Or any technical language. It has to be so simple that even your grandmother can understand it!
- Relevant – You have to be honest.
- Consistent – You have to easily remember and be able to repeat all 3 or 4 in every interaction and in everything you do.
[11:41] – Why do you feel Facebook ads are giving people and brands a bad reputation?
- When not done correctly, Facebook ads or ads of any kind can be the quickest way to go broke in business. Spending money is fine, but if it’s not converting, you are just spending money.
[15:02] – The secret to PR that public relations agencies don’t want you to know…
- What PR agencies and PR professionals don’t want you to know is that you can actually do public relations yourself. Very easily. And you can do it for free!
- Example of Free PR:
- Get clear on what your GOAL is.
- Have a plan – What do you want to achieve? To get more attention, to make more sales… Knowing exactly where you want people to end up.
- Taking advantage of Free Resources – Who covers your competitor? Your industry? Search those people and form a relationship with them, then pitch.
[16:37] – Give us an example of Free PR…
- Apply for HARO – this site provides journalists with a robust database of sources for upcoming stories and daily opportunities for sources to secure valuable media coverage.
- Wedding example: I have a client who is a wedding planner. She wanted to pitch but she wasn’t ready. So I said ok lets work on your pitch and I had her signed up for HARO. She signed up for Haro and submitted a Pitch around a royal wedding, and then she said she went to bed around 9pm with $500 in her business banking account. She woke up the next morning with a million Google alerts and she had appeared in 24 national publications and international publications and was quoted as “A national wedding expert “!! …and her business bank account less than 24 hrs later had $55,000 in it as a result. All because she’s had been booked up.
- Do your homework – Outlets post a publicly accessible editorial calendar at the beginning of each year to perspective advertisers so they can plan to budget around what topic each publication is running.
- Engage with reporters – Engage them on an article they’ve just written. Best way to contact a reporter is to send him/her an email so you can demonstrate thoughtful analysis, commentary on a piece, and they have your direct contact information at their fingertips
- Start a List – Create a target media list. Writers, Broadcaster, Podcasters in addition to their contact info and a link to their latest article.
- 4 simple questions to ask yourself:
- Who is your target customer?
- What are they reading, watching, or listening to?
- Who are the correct contacts at this outlet who cover your niche?
- Have they written about your product offering previously?
[24:36] – How can someone get their brand in the news today?
- Be clear on your key messages and how you want to position your brand.
- Identify the 3 to 5 Media outlets you interested in being featured on – because you want to have each pitch tailored to them
- Find the correct contact person at that outlet who covers your industry, or your region, or location.
- Recommended Pitch: “Hello! ( And whatever the contact’s name is ) I have been following your column, blog, Podcast for quite some time, and i love your content and what you share with your readers, listeners and viewers. Every time i read a post, listen to an episode, I feel like I’m able to walk away with a single clear action item. One reason example that really resonates me with is, (then leave one brief little sentence about what recently resonated. Something they did or said.) I believe i can provide value to your audience on a few different topics. A few that immediately come to mind include (List 3. Just the Title of what you call your segment/Article) Then say many thanks for considering my request. Look forward to hearing from you.” Then put your name and all your contact information.
[26:53] – Does word of mouth still matter in 2019 and beyond?
- Nothing matters more than your reputation.
- You are relying on third party validation of others and word of mouth.
[28:55] – The “PR fail” that 99% of brands make
- They don’t have a plan in place for how they want to position and promote their offering. Instead they take a shotgun approach and try to be everywhere and everything to everyone – which results in getting scattered and all over the place.
- In order to connect and convert with your audience and PR, you have to be strategic with tactics and by laying out a plan.
[29:51] – How to extend your 15 minutes of fame
- Publicize yourself
- Promote on all your social media accounts – not just one time but many times.
- Write a Blog post about the experience of being featured.
- Update your marketing collateral.
- Send E-mail blasts to customers, peers, wholesalers, and any other person linked to your recent press
[33:38] – KJ, give us one thing that you want to make sure that Fire Nation really gets from this incredible audio masterclass.
- Know that no matter where you are in your entrepreneurial journey, your story is amazing and you have something great to share.
[34:12] – I heard a rumor that you have something for Fire Nation?
- Gift for Fire Nation – A free calendar filled with about 300 days – or 52 straight weeks – of free content!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!