Kris is the CEO and Founder of Choose People, a company that transforms company cultures, increases employee happiness and boosts the bottom-line. The Choose People 360° Culture Audit is based on over 1000 hours of research Boesch conducted with the Industrial Organizational Psychology Department at Colorado State University.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Focus At Will – Kris’ small business resources
- Conscious Business by Fred Kofman – Kris’ Top Business Book
- Choose People – Kris’ website
- Culture Works Book – Kris’ book
- How to Finally Win – Create your dream life one step at a time!
- The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days! – Enter the promo code ‘podcast’ for a special discount :)
3 Key Points:
- Show how the money is connected to your mission and how your mission is connected to the money.
- Learn how to mitigate expectations early on to build that trust and open communication.
- Company culture relies on whether or not your people feel they are known, that they matter, and that they are included.
- Billy Gene is Marketing: My friend Billy Gene is hosting a free training where he’s going to build an entire Facebook advertising campaign from scratch – the ad copy, the landing pages, and everything in between! Why struggle trying to figure out Facebook ads on your own when you can just copy Billy Gene? Claim your spot today at INeedThisTraining.com!
- Organifi: I’ve been researching plant-based supplements that will help me not just feel my best, but also perform my best, and Organifi’s protein is smooth, filling and the vanilla flavor is yummy! See for yourself: visit Organifi.com and save 20% with promo code FIRE!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:10] – Kris is a proud mother who just visited her daughter studying in Japan. Kris loves to dance and is also a huge dog lover.
- [02:14] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Kris’ expertise is in creating a workplace culture. Her niche is in creating emotional intimacy in the culture.
- [02:37] – The one thing missing in companies is connecting money to the mission and vice versa
- [03:12] – Kris recommends the Hundred Dollar Tool exercise to make your employees understand where the money goes
- [03:16] – Get 100 – one dollar bills and make a flip chart breaking down your income strains, expenses and profit
- [04:20] – The activity makes the cash flow tangible to your employees
- [04:52] – Based on her experience, by the end of the activity, the employees will share their ideas on how they can save money
- [05:21] – “As you feed the money, you feed the mission. As you feed the mission that feeds the money”
- [05:34] – Handing it out physically can make it real
- [05:56] – JLD says transparency is important with your team
- [06:10] – E-mail JLD if you do this activity and let him know how it goes!
- [06:29] – Kris says the payroll should be the last one
- [06:48] – JLD tells Kris to make a video of the exercise
- [07:23] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Kris was running her moving company and they got hit by the recession. The employees were feeling the pinch. As they were tight on cash, Kris was not able to give their usual holiday giveaway and opted for beef jerky. After the holiday gathering, Kris handed out the beef jerky and the employees were not happy with it.
- [09:01] – In hindsight, Kris says she should have mitigated expectations and she wished she would have been upfront about their situation
- [10:30] – Biggest Lesson Learned: Kris learned to mitigate expectations and to share her humanity to others. She also learned that it is better to give nothing than give something that feels cheap.
- [11:58] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Kris was told early in her entrepreneurial days that she should tell people the “what” but not the “how”. In one of her presentations with a large audience, she realized that all the 400 people were listening to her speak for one hour. Kris decided she should give more value by saying “how” rather than the “what”. Her mission to increase joy in the workplace can only be done if she shares the “how”.
- [14:39] – One of the “hows” that Kris shared was the speed dating activity
- [15:21] – Kris has a set of questions that can help connect people with each other, with the company and with the impact they have
- [16:12] – Those who make the inner tube of the tractor tires ultimately help feed the nation
- [17:35] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? –“My lack of awareness of my own potential and capacity”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Progress over perfectionism”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Getting up at 4 AM”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Focus At Will
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Conscious Business by Fred Kofman
- 19:59 – Connect with Kris through her email or via LinkedIn
- 20:13 – Go to Culture Works Book for a chance to win a free book and workbook worth $200 from Kris if you sign up for the weekly culture tip!
- [20:44] – Every single individual on your team wants to feel known, that they matter, and that they are included—this will be the foundation of your company culture
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, Grow and monetize YOUR Podcast!