Michael Hyatt is a New York Times bestselling author of several books, including Your Best Year Ever, Living Forward, and Platform. He and his team help overwhelmed high achievers win at work, succeed at life, and lead with confidence. In 2017 and 2018, Michael Hyatt & Company was featured on the Inc. 5000 list as one of America’s fastest growing companies.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
How to Set Goals that Stick in 2019 – Register for Michael’s webinar!
3 Value Bombs
1) Everything important in your life that’s ever happened, happened in your area of discomfort.
2) The mere act of writing down your goals increases the likelihood of you achieving those goals by 44%!
3) Usually, the places where we’ve struggled the most, or where we haven’t seen progress, can be the key that opens the door to the future.
Shopify: Are you an independent business owner looking for a commerce platform that will be a reliable partner when it comes to selling your products? Then look no further than Shopify! Visit Shopify.com to start your free trial today!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: How to Become a Bigger Thinker in 2019
[02:31] – Michael shares something about himself that most people don’t know.
- He started out as a music major in college. He wanted to pursue a life as a performing artist.
[04:25] – Why holding back and thinking small is robbing the world of your unique contribution
- Dreams, abilities, or skills are not given to us for us. It was given to us on behalf of others. If we withhold those from the world, we are robbing the world of something that could benefit them.
[05:39] – What is something that holds Michael back?
- Limiting Beliefs. Limiting beliefs are like barnacles on a ship.
- There’s always, always another level. When you start to feel satisfied with where you’re at, that is a dangerous sign.
- “Happiness is the gradual realization of a worthy idea.”
[09:01] – Fear is a part of life. But what happens if we let that fear keep us inside of our comfort zone?
- Everything important in your life that’s ever happened, happened in your area of discomfort.
- The markers of your discomfort = FUD: Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt
[13:16] – Michael shares a move you can take that most would consider risky, but that can give you the clarity you need to act on your dreams.
- Write down your goals for next year. It’s easy for people to make New Year’s Resolutions, but there’s something about writing it down in a specific goal format that feels a bit risky – because now you’re committing.
- The mere act of writing down your goals increases the likelihood of you achieving those goals by 44%!
- Clarity accelerates your progress towards your goal
[16:56] – Most people only look and act forward. Why is working backwards one of the most effective ways to get forward momentum?
- Your past is the key to break through what’s in the future. Usually, the places where we’ve struggled the most, or where we haven’t seen progress, can be the key that opens the door to the future.
- Everything that’s important in your life is going to be resisted by something that opposes it.
[19:28] – What does “embracing your agency” mean?
- Agency is like your power. It’s your power to set meaningful goals and to accomplish those goals.
- Many people don’t embrace their agency. They deflect it.
- Once you take responsibility for your results, your outcomes, and your actions, all things become possible.
[22:48] – How can we, as entrepreneurs, put our calendars to work for our biggest goals this coming year?
- START – Schedule The Action Required Today
- When we schedule things in our calendar, we are making a sacred space to work on things that may not be urgent, but are important.
[25:29] – Michael’s parting piece of guidance
- Come join us on a FREE Webinar Thur, Dec 13th all about How to Set Goals that Stick in 2019: 5 Proven Strategies to Overcome Goal Failure!
- Click here to register for Michael’s webinar!
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!