Michelle got her first day planner at the age of 12, started her first business at 19 and currently runs 3 different businesses. With over 1,000,000 downloads on her podcast, 300,000 followers on social media, and a regular segment on Fox TV, she shares her “secrets” in her book Make It Happen Blueprint.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Michelle shares her incredible journey on EOFire today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:06] – Michelle loves what she does with her business and she’s also a mom of 2
- [01:30] – We can allow our work to be a part of our life
- [01:56] – Michelle tries to establish the double trifecta for high performance which is marketing and motivation
- [02:15] – When Michelle was working with entrepreneurs, she was figuring out how time management and understanding their goals helped them to scale their business
- [02:33] – When you know your goals and understand time management, you can achieve high levels of performance
- [03:01] – When Michelle realized that she wanted to make money, she knew that she needed to hire more people
- [04:40] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: It happened 8 or 9 years ago
- [04:55] – Michelle had a somewhat public fail of a business
- [05:04] – At that point, everyone was telling Michelle to just go back to the corporate world
- [05:40] – Michelle learned a lot from that experience of failing, even if it was embarrassing
- [05:47] – “Humble pie doesn’t taste great, but it’s good for you”
- [06:20] – Mistakes and failures will come and they’re part of a real experience that we have to go through
- [06:33] – “The fastest way to quiet naysayers is results”
- [07:32] – Hire people and don’t waste your time doing things you’re not good at
- [08:05] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Michelle started a promotional product company when she was 19
- [08:27] – After a year of people calling Michelle because of her yellow page ad, she decided it wasn’t her space
- [08:51] – Michelle is a big fan of experiential marketing
- [09:10] – She created a big event, brought back 80’s movies and played them in a movie theatre; she advertised to people in their target market
- [09:39] – “How can I help people experience my brand?”
- [09:49] – Marketing doesn’t have to be boring and textbook
- [10:15] – “When you’re on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect” – Mark Twain
- [10:28] – There are a lot more opportunities on the other side
- [10:48] – We can get so caught up with things that people are already doing that we forget to do things our way
- [11:10] – We have in use our ability to succeed and we just have to believe in ourselves more
- [11:25] – Don’t be afraid to try those big, crazy, and outrageous ideas
- [11:42] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? Michelle has been expanding her experience through speaking
- 13:05 – Some of the communities you can join are Youpreneur, Fizzle and Facebook Groups
- [13:28] – Collaboration is key
- [13:50] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – Money and security
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “It’s not about balance, it’s about priority”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “My power up and power down routine everyday are my #1 go-to, favorite success tool”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Google Docs and Google Drive
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – How Will You Measure Your Life by Clayton Christensen – talks about the ways that we grow our businesses through innovation, how we measure our life beyond our business contribution, and the ways we make it work with our family and other priorities
- [17:23] – Money doesn’t solve all of your problems, but time is your greatest asset in business and it can also be your biggest liability
- 18:00 – Connect with Michelle through her website
- 18:03 – Go to SpeakMichelle.com/fire to get a FREE resource: part of the Make it Happen Blueprint book!
3 Key Points:
- Don’t let past failures define who you are—the trick is to learn from them.
- If you are finding yourself following the status quo, this is a great opportunity to reevaluate what you’re doing.
- Balance does NOT exist. The things that you love will flow together, harmoniously.
- Google Docs and Google Drive – Michelle’s small business resources
- How Will You Measure Your Life– Michelle’s Top Business Book
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- Michelle’s website
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
- ZipRecruiter: Looking for quality candidates to help you grow your business? Find out today why ZipRecruiter has been used by over 1 million businesses (including EOFire)!
- DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!