In 2007, Travis became the rebellious face of a traditionally stodgy legal industry when he launched LawFather, a digital-media agency for trial lawyers. He attributes his decade-long success to seeking out clients who share his passion for protecting the justice system and his unabashed approach to educating consumers.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Travis shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:59] – Travis lives in Denver, Colorado with his wife, Summer, who is also a lawyer
- [01:15] – Up until last year, Travis was an adjunct professor of entrepreneurship at Metropolitan State University of Denver
- [01:40] – 2-3 years ago, Travis’ line of expertise was PPC, SEO and online marketing
- [01:50] – Travis has been helping law firms explain to consumers who they really are and what sets them apart from other law firms
- [02:03] – Travis pivoted to branding
- [02:35] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: “Great authenticity beats great marketing all the time”
- [02:42] – Most companies focus on their online reputation rather than who they really are
- [03:14] – Travis shares how one of his clients uses authenticity in an effective manner
- [04:20] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Travis has been an entrepreneur for 22 years now
- [05:46] – JLD is a firm believer in doing what you love and mixing that with 100% value
- [06:05] – Travis would always tell his students that there are several factors that determine an entrepreneur’s success
- [06:20] – There were circumstances that made Travis close his coffee shop
- [07:03] – Luck is a factor in an entrepreneur’s success, too
- [08:05] – Travis would like young entrepreneurs to remember that they need to try out all that they can
- [08:11] – Don’t beat yourself up and don’t be dissuaded by failures
- [08:18] – JLD would rather be 1 for 20 than 0 for 1
- [08:40] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Travis left Washington State, then came to Denver
- [08:45] – Travis was working as a valet at night and went to school during the day
- [08:50] – While working at a valet stand, Travis had the idea to place an advertisement on the blank side of the valet ticket
- [09:15] – Travis got Mercedes Benz as a client and he made $25K
- [09:20] – Travis got a call from the Denver Nuggets who also wanted a piece of this valet ticket advertising
- [09:45] – “Good businesses or exceptional businesses are really about 1: exceptional ideas, but also 2: exceptional opportunity”
- [09:56] – The one constant in Travis’ success is that he is the one in the unique position to make that business idea happen
- [10:23] – It’s about finding a real pain point and executing a solution to that pain point
- [11:09] – Combine great ideas and great opportunity, then use passion as something to help you see that through
- [11:30] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “Educating consumers on how the justice system is deteriorating around them”
- [12:38] – Arbitration clauses are one example of the deteriorating justice system
- [13:35] – Now is a great opportunity for companies to come up with ways to deliver their services where they respect democracy and privacy
- [14:10] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Mentors and people with the knowledge that I didn’t have”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Do not let money get in the way of your success”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “To assign my tasks to other people. To not try and do everything on my own”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Trialline.net
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock your Business Potential – it helps entrepreneurs launch their business and understand what their own value is and not to discredit that value; it’s also good for new entrepreneurs
- [16:06] – “Don’t beat yourself up over failures. If you want to be an entrepreneur, continue to push forward on the ideas you believe in”
- 16:19 – Connect with Travis via his website
3 Key Points:
- In order to succeed, combine what you love with value.
- Luck and timing are two great factors in one’s success.
- Don’t beat yourself up and be discouraged by failures—keep pressing on.
- Trialline.net – Travis’ small business resource
- Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock your Business Potential – Travis’ Top Business Book
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- Travis’ website
- FireUP – Ignite your site and turn your leads into customers!
- How to Finally Win – Create your dream life one step at a time
- ZipRecruiter: Looking for quality candidates to help you grow your business? Find out today why ZipRecruiter has been used by over 1 million businesses (including EOFire)!
- Billy Gene is Marketing: My friend Billy Gene is hosting a free training where he’s going to build an entire Facebook advertising campaign from scratch – the ad copy, the landing pages, and everything in between! Why struggle trying to figure out Facebook ads on your own when you can just copy Billy Gene? Claim your spot today at INeedThisTraining.com!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!