Mike started his career in the fitness industry and did well until some unforeseen circumstances came into play and he had to switch gears. He eventually started a digital marketing agency with $500 and a phone and now his agency does 7-figures and helps fitness studios around the world.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Mike shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:03] – Mike is married and has 4 kids
- [01:11] – He started his business because he didn’t have a choice
- [01:21] – He decided to start a company that initially sold websites
- [01:32] – It was hard and he was failing
- [02:01] – Mike made changes along the way and niched down
- [02:13] – “The more we niched, the more we grew”
- [02:37] – Mike helps fitness studios get leads
- [03:06] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Mike delivers 200-250 leads per month with 10 – 20% conversion
- [03:50] – It’s important that your client knows how to close deals
- [04:45] – Mike realized the businesses that stayed with him were the ones who were more business savvy
- [05:02] – The people who were struggling were the fitness people who didn’t invest in learning how to do business
- [05:28] – Mike launched a learning center and a weekly podcast for his clients
- [06:05] – “We work with people that want to be better tomorrow”
- [06:50] – Have a process and training in place
- [07:20] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Mike’s daughter was about to be born and they just started the web design business. They made some money in the first few months, but Mike learned that it was very hard to do the marketing and selling at the same time.
- [08:01] – They hit a good month, but they were stacked with work
- [08:13] – They hired an employee who didn’t really contribute
- [08:27] – On top of that, they were getting letters for not paying their mortgage
- [08:37] – They lived on macaroni and cheese, tuna, and ramen
- [10:50] – Mike was not going to fail or quit because he had a baby on the way
- 11:37 – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Mike started reading How to Win Friends and Influence People and he learned the value of communicating better. He realized he was doing it all wrong and started focusing on these skills. His biggest ah-ha moment was realizing that he needed to transform.
- [12:59] – Reading can affect you in BIG ways
- [13:45] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “The thing that I am most fired up about is my team”
- [14:06] – 2.5 years ago, Mike was still learning about leadership
- [14:20] – He had a high turnover
- [14:32] – He couldn’t stand the people working with him
- [14:36] – The complete game changer was when Mike started to learn about leadership
- [15:28] – Mike is excited for 2017 as he now has about 12 people working with him
- [16:02] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I was scared to start a second business”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “You’re as good as your people and you should treat your people 1st, customers 2nd”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I need to win something every day”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – ViewedIt
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The E Myth and Multipliers
- 18:16 – Connect with Mike on his website and on his podcast
- [19:01] – Learn and work hard
3 Key Points:
- Niching down can be the way your business succeeds.
- No matter how many leads you generate, if you don’t know how to close deals, it’s pretty much useless.
- Sometimes, change has to come from within yourself, first, before you turn the tides.
- ViewedIt – Mike’s small business resource
- The E Myth and Multipliers – Mike’s Top Business Books
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- Loud Rumor – Mike’s website
- GSD Show – Mike’s podcast
- How To Finally Win – Learn how to create your dream life one step at a time!
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- Square: Accept payments quickly and easily. Visit Square.com/fire and if you sign up now you’ll get free processing on your first $500 in sales!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!