Jon is the ultimate underdog. Listen to this: despite having severe muscular dystrophy and not being able to move from the neck down, he’s built several multi-million dollar businesses using nothing but his voice. People call him unstoppable, and today he will tell you his story.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Jon shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- 00:15 – The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
- [01:07] – Jon has Spinal Muscular Atrophy, which is the #1 genetic killer of infants
- [01:34] – Jon can only move his face and talks through a microphone
- [02:11] – JLD looks at Jon as a mentor
- 02:52 – JLD and Jon talked about Unstoppable in Episode 626
- [03:01] – Unstoppable is the biggest blog launch in history
- [03:38] – Unstoppable is where Jon shares the lessons he’s learned in life and how he overcomes his disability
- [04:19] – Jon has achieved every goal he has set in life
- 04:43 – 7 Life Lessons from a Guy Who Can’t Move Anything but His Face
- [05:34] – Jon did NOT promote the post, but just shared it to his email list and it grew from there
- [05:57] – JLD likes Life Lesson #6, which talks about being reasonable
- [06:32] – Jon says if he was reasonable, he’d be living in a nursing home by now
- [06:44] – Jon accomplished all that he has by just doing it; he doesn’t worry about the difficulty involved
- [07:22] – “Extraordinary things are not accomplished by reasonable people”
- [08:30] – Jon has learned in life that we all get punched, but there is always a counter-punch
- [08:51] – “The degree of opportunity is directly proportional to how bad the situation is”
- [09:03] – When Jon was in his 20s, he was on government assistance
- [10:59] – Jon asks Fire Nation: “What is your counter-punch?”
- [11:05] – JLD gives examples of people and their counter-punches
- [12:50] – JLD asks Jon what took him so long to launch Unstoppable
- 13:00 – Jon was so focused on growing his business, Smart Blogging
- [13:40] – Jon had an extraordinary assistant who was quitting because she got hired by Tony Robbins
- 14:14 – Jon received tickets to Unleash the Power Within because his assistant told Tony about him
- [15:00] – Tony started to talk about perseverance and read one of Jon’s blog posts
- [15:15] – The audience gave him a standing ovation and Tony Robbins told him that he should write more
- [15:41] – Jon and Tony talked about shifting the focus from survival to contribution
- [16:07] – Jon lost sight of what he could contribute
- [17:00] – The unique thing he can contribute to the world is sharing how he overcame his obstacles
- [17:42] – For JLD, his unique contribution is doing a daily podcast
- [18:40] – Jon had a low point after his conversation with Tony Robbins
- [19:00] – Jon realized he still had a company to run and tried to work on Unstoppable on the side, but felt burnt out
- [20:05] – While at a Mastermind meeting, Jon said he was trapped in a business he hates and did not know what to do
- [21:00] – Noah Kagan asked Jon if anyone from his company knew how he felt and told him that his company should know
- [21:21] – Other executives told Jon he should not be Superman, as he is not delegating enough
- [22:07] – After Jon talked to his team, they stepped up and he was able to have free time to do what he wanted to do, and the company grew
- [22:40] – A good leader surrounds himself with people who are more capable than he is
- [23:11] – JLD says communication is key!
- [23:53] – At a certain point, when you have built something successful, you have to focus on contribution and what you can bring to the world
- 24:32 – Connect with Jon at Unstoppable
3 Key Points:
- Do not be discouraged when life gets hard and you feel like you’ve been punched—remember, you can always deliver a counter-punch.
- Find out what only YOU can contribute to the world; then, give it.
- A good leader surrounds himself with people who are more capable than he is.
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- Unstoppable – Jon’s website
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
- Free Podcast Course – A free 15 day course on how to Create, Grow & Monetize YOUR Podcast!
- DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
- Constant Contact: See how you can be a marketer: sign up for a free trial today at ConstantContact.com/podcast!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!