Nastassia C. S. is a startup launch expert, D.E.I. strategist and founder of The Mind Designer. She helps founders develop authentic leadership skills, so they can create inclusive and innovative workplaces.
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
The Mind Designer Workshop – Attend a weekly workshop with Nas! Use the coupon code FIRE and get a bonus download with tips on how to launch successfully.
3 Value Bombs
1) Remember yourself. Remember that you are launching a business, and ultimately, always a human being with feelings and values with your own personal definition of success. You are your own best guide.
2) Business values are an amazing way for entrepreneurs to know whether they are on the right track or not
3) If you are the first woman of color to launch a certain type of business, you have a built-in network. If you’re representing a community that you happen to be part of, or an identity they hold that you are really proud of, you have a built-in network.
HubSpot: Learn how to grow better by connecting your people, your customers, and your business at HubSpot.com!
Thinkific: Download your free report that reveals what the top 20% of course creators are doing right now to be so darn successful at Thinkific.com/firetrends!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Leading a Business as a Woman of Color: Obstacles and Opportunities with Nastassia C. S.
[1:27] – Nas shares something that she believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- People are ready to become successful without ever having to take the time to find out what it means to be themselves, and what it means to be successful in their business.
- You get to be the creator of what success means for you.
[4:40] – Obstacles for founders of color, and how to overcome these.
- One of the obstacles is systemic. It’s a fact that women of color get less funding. It’s get more difficult to get your emails answered.
- Focus on the internal obstacles. These are things that have become generational obstacles, or generational traumas – things that we don’t realize we are holding onto.
[8:06] – Advantages of being a first time CEO of color.
- As a first time CEO, there’s so much freedom. You get to do things your way.
- If you are the first woman of color to launch a certain type of business, you have a built-in network. If you’re representing a community that you happen to be part of, or an identity they hold that you are really proud of, you get a built-in network.
[10:34] – What founders should be thinking about when it comes to DEI — diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Know that if every person who joins your team feels like they can contribute, has a sense of belonging, and they can come to the table with new ideas and they will be heard, that’s DEI.
- You’ll find more success and longevity in the business if you’re thinking about your future team.
[14:44] – A timeout to thank our sponsors, HubSpot and Thinkific!
[17:05] – The current ways of doing business, and how they’re getting in the way of innovation and an inclusive work culture.
- We can’t lose sight of the number of opportunities that we have to do things differently, rather than just following the status quo just because that’s the way things have always been done.
- Create room for yourself as you’re launching or scaling your business to disrupt the way things have always been done for the sake of finding better opportunities.
[20:37] – Why business values matter.
- Business values are an amazing way for entrepreneurs to know whether they are on the right track or not
- When you don’t know which direction to go, going back to your business values is a great way to get back on track.
[24:17] – Nas’ key takeaway and call to action for Fire Nation!
- Remember yourself. Remember that you are launching a business, and ultimately, you’re always a human being with feelings and values – with your own personal definition of success. You are your own best guide.
- The Mind Designer Workshop – Attend a weekly workshop with Nas! Use the coupon code FIRE and get a bonus download with tips on how to launch successfully.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!