Paul Daly is the founder and CEO of Congruent and host of the Clarity Compressed podcast. After the acquisition of his first business he is focused on empowering others to connect with their audience through his brand-first approach.
Brand Is Gravity – A workshop that teaches you how to define and deploy brand in the real world! Get 50% off with code EOF!
3 Value Bombs
1) Brand is a feeling, and that feeling is the reflection of your viewers values back at them.
2) Brand building does detract from sales, and that is why you need to have the vision for what your brand should and could be.
3) Brand is gravity. Realize that the strength of your brand will attract the right things to you.
ZipRecruiter: When it comes to hiring, you can save time and get more qualified candidates fast with ZipRecruiter. And right now, you can try ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter.com/fire! ZipRecruiter. The smartest way to hire.
QuickBooks Online: Save time, money, and get organized with QuickBooks Online! Right now you can save 60% or more! This special offer for Fire Nation won’t be available for long.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Brand Is Gravity with Paul J. Daly
[1:08] – Paul shares something about himself that most people don’t know.
- Splitting a piece of wood with an axe is one of his favorite things to do.
[3:34] – How do you define brand?
- Your logo, color scheme and your people are all expressions of your brand.
- For Paul, brand is a feeling, and that feeling is the reflection of your viewers values back at them.
[5:48] – What does “brand beats the hacks” mean?
- Paul made up a T-shirt that says “brand beats the hacks” to remind people that developing your brand takes a long time – but it sustains its value.
[8:05] – Does focusing on brand building detract from sales efforts and sales content?
- We have a finite amount of resources in life in general; whenever you decide to go on one direction you are going to detract from another direction.
- Brand building does detract from sales, and that is why you need to have the vision for what your brand should and could be.
[11:12] – JLD shares some food for thought about trading on brands and not discounts.
- High level brand vs. discount chain.
[14:01] – Where should you start when building your brand?
- Paul shares 5 elements for building a brand.
- Honesty – understand who you are, what you bring to the market, and what your unique selling points are.
- Empathy – strive to understand before being understood.
- Attention – do something to get your buyers attention.
- Connection – the brand has the ability to build connection, customer loyalty, a tribe.
- Care – it is the ongoing relationship with someone. No one is truly loyal who does not care about your brand.
[22:24] – What is the process for knowing if you are on the right track?
- You will know if your brand is on the right track if you focus on your metrics.
- Automotive Industry Marketing – focuses on number of cars sold and marketing cost per car sold.
- Know your profits and losses and know your numbers.
[25:01] – What KPI’s should a business owner be measuring?
- Know your employee retention rate.
- Net profit – know your bottom line metrics.
[27:55] – Paul’s parting piece of guidance
- Brand is gravity. Realize that the strength of your brand will attract the right things to you. If you are investing in brand, you are investing in making that gravitational pull stronger.
[28:35] – Paul’s invite to Fire Nation!
- Brand Is Gravity – A workshop that teaches you how to define and deploy brand in the real world. Get 50% off with code EOF!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!