The world’s most recognized lacrosse player, Paul Rabil plays for the New York Lizards. He is active on social media with over 500K followers. In 2014, he sold his video content business to Denver-based startup, TopYa. In 2016, Paul co-founded Rabil Events. He trains in the mornings, and occasionally cooks.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Slack – Paul’s small business resource
- Option B – Paul’s Top Business Book
- Rabil Events – Paul’s business
- Connect with Paul on his website and podcast
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
- Free Podcast Course – A free 15 day course on how to Create, Grow, & Monetize YOUR Podcast!
3 Key Points:
- Build your influence in a way that people will trust and believe in you—then, they’ll continue to follow you.
- Sometimes, you just have to reset your life in order to move forward.
- Find your authentic voice.
- ZipRecruiter: Find out today why ZipRecruiter has been used by businesses of ALL sizes to find the most qualified job candidates. Post jobs on ZipRecruiter for FREE today by visiting ZipRecruiter.com/fire!
- SmartMove: If you own a rental property, or know someone who does, try SmartMove so you don’t find out the hard way that a prospective tenant is a risk. Visit TenantScreening.com, enter code FireNation, and get 25% off your next screening!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:23] – A lot of athletes have dual focus – doing business while still playing their competitive sport
- [01:47] – Paul is still playing professional lacrosse while creating media and operating companies
- [02:51] – What athletes and entrepreneurs do well is influence people
- [03:02] – If your influence is built from trust and belief, your fans will follow you
- [03:40] – Paul’s area of expertise is in focusing on endurance
- [05:36] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Paul believes that nothing is THAT bad and keeping your mindset intact is what’s important. As an athlete, Paul was at his lowest when he broke his foot and ended up losing the world championship. As a professional, his lowest was when they launched and their churn was high and they were losing from chargebacks
- [07:52] – “You have to hit reset”
- [09:05] – JLD shares a story about his interview with JP Sears
- [09:23] – “Sometimes you just have to care less”
- [10:25] – Finding your authentic voice feels cliché, but it’s trending upwards
- [12:03] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Paul doesn’t believe that he’s an inventor of ideas. His biggest ah-ha moment was the convergence of social media into mainstream media. In 2008, Paul launched a Facebook Page because lacrosse wasn’t featured in mainstream media
- [14:30] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’m really excited about videos”
- [15:55] – Audio is the form of content that JLD has been focusing on
- [16:10] – Video is king, but audio allows you to connect with an audience in a different area of their life
- [16:43] – JLD offers Paul the opportunity to connect to Niyi Sobo, a guest from a few days back
- [17:32] – Check out Paul’s Suiting Up Podcast
- [19:28] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I grew up in a more practical, risk averse household”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Cleanliness”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Slack
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Option B by
- [21:58] – Experiment personally and professionally
- [22:56] – Connect with Paul on his website and podcast
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!