Peter is a multiple-startup founder with several successful exits under his belt. He’s a best-selling author focusing on the customer economy. He can be found at www.shankman.com
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- FasterThanNormalBook.com – Peter’s new book
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE courses for you!
3 Key Points:
- Self-care is a topic that needs to be discussed MORE for entrepreneurs.
- Learning to prioritize your work is the key to getting things done.
- ADHD is not a curse, it’s a gift. Try to look at the positive side of scenarios rather than thinking it’s going to stop you.
- Goddard School: The Goddard School is a premier franchise of private preschools and provides you the opportunity to own a recession-resistant business while making a positive impact on children and their families. For more info, or to apply to become a Goddard School franchisee, visit LearnAboutGoddard.com!
- Storyblocks: Download all the stock your heart desires from Storyblocks’ Member Library, which includes 400,000 stunning photos, vectors, textures, and icons. Plus, all content is royalty-free so you can use it for commercial and personal projects! Visit Storyblocks.com/fire to try it free for 7 days!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:50] – Peter is a single dad to a wonderful 4-year old daughter
- [01:06] – He was born and raised in New York City
- 01:11 – He started his career at America Online
- [01:32] – He tried working for other people, but that only lasted for 3 weeks
- [01:39] – In 1998, he went out to build a PR firm as an entrepreneur
- 02:22 – A year and a half ago, he launched the podcast, Faster Than Normal
- 02:47 – Random House contacted Peter to make his podcast a book, Faster than Normal, which launched yesterday, October 3rd, 2017!
- [03:06] – “This is a book that is helping people”
- 04:51 – Peter was on Episode 565 of Entrepreneurs On Fire!
- [05:21] – If you’re an entrepreneur, you probably have some form of ADHD
- [06:51] – People with ADHD have a faster brain
- [07:23] – The premise of self-medication is what fired Peter up to write this book
- [08:31] – Peter self-medicates through exercise
- [10:14] – He trained himself to understand that if he wants to be happy, these are the things that he needs to be doing
- [10:47] – The last 5 minutes of Peter’s keynote speeches are dedicated to entrepreneurial self-care
- [10:57] – In his 19 years of entrepreneurship, Peter has lost 3 friends to suicide
- [11:11] – Sometimes entrepreneurs don’t appreciate how important stopping really is
- [12:02] – Know yourself: understand how you perform at your best, and also, what it takes to get you there AND keep you there
- [12:49] – The meaning behind the quote, “Get thee on an airplane or to a forest”
- [13:24] – Peter works best in his own zone of deep work
- [14:24] – Peter was working on this 4th book. He finished all the research in a month, and then he had 5 months to write it. When the publisher called 2 weeks before his deadline, he hadn’t written anything yet
- [16:01] – Get an assistant if you can!
- 19:46 – Faster than Normal launched yesterday, October 3rd 2017!
- [20:20] – Peter realized that how his brain works fits perfectly with the entrepreneurial lifestyle; ADHD is part of the reason why he chose this lifestyle
- [20:37] – People who don’t have ADHD can adopt some of things Peter does to be more productive
- [22:00] – There are tiny things that actually work for you, like turning off your phone for the night
- [22:41] – Peter rarely has long meetings – they’re always short!
- [24:07] – Disturbances from deep work will always have residue that will stay throughout your day
- [24:43] – As much as possible, Peter eliminates choices
- [26:17] – ADHD is a GIFT; it is not a curse
- [27:21] – It’s all about prioritizing
- [28:03] – Whether you have ADHD or not, there are ways you can get where you want to go
- 29:22 – Check out FasterThanNormalBook.com to get Peter’s new book!
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Real Revenue: Follow JLD’s step-by-step system and turn ANY idea into a revenue generating MACHINE!