Renee is the CEO & Co-Founder of CastBox, the global leading spoken audio platform pioneering in-audio search to deliver contextual recommendations for listeners of podcasts, on-demand radio, and audio books.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- GitHub and Stack Overflow – Renee’s small business resources
- The Lean Startup – Renee’s Top Business Book
- CastBox – Renee’s website
- Connect with Renee on her email
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE Courses for you!
3 Key Points:
- There’s a market on the things that most people overlook.
- Always be persistent.
- Make your idea a reality.
- Billy Gene Is Marketing: My friend Billy Gene wants to send you something in the mail! It’s small, blackish, and if used properly it might deliver some serious R O I. For the next 100 listeners who go to CopyOurAds.com, Billy Gene is going to mail you his best performing Facebook funnels for FREE. You just cover the shipping!
- DesignCrowd: If you’re not much of a designer, but are looking for ideas for your next logo, websites design or even your new business cards, then DesignCrowd can help! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire for a special one $100 VIP offer for Fire Nation!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:05] – Renee’s major in college was psychology and statistics, but she really enjoyed engineering, so she taught herself to code
- [01:20] – In 2008, she started to develop on Android and joined Google in Beijing, Dublin, and Tokyo
- 01:41 – She quit her job 2 years ago and founded CastBox
- [02:13] – Her area of expertise is in the global Android ecosystems
- [03:04] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: Apple is a dominant platform for podcast listeners, BUT as more people join the space, there has been a growing need to develop an Android platform app
- [04:09] – Android is a global platform just like iOS
- [05:28] – Go after things that are being overlooked
- [05:49] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: In the beginning of her business, Renee had to do everything on her own. It was so hard for her to find people to join in her venture that it left her with no other choice. She ran things alone and even sold her house to get the business funded. She had no employees, so she spent days and nights in the office working until finally, a friend joined her. They operated like 7 Eleven, working 7 days per week almost ‘round the clock. Then one day, her friend told her she was considering resigning to start a family
- [08:23] – “Never give up!”
- [10:02] – Persistence and tenacity are traits entrepreneurs must have
- [10:34] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Renee’s ah-ha moment for CastBox actually came from her own need. She was working for Google Japan when she decided to download an mp3 to learn to speak Japanese. She kept looking for a good podcast app but couldn’t find one, and that’s when she realized she could leverage her own tech background to make that idea a reality
- [12:56] – Make something you’re excited about a reality for the world
- [13:17] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’m really excited about the audio industry”
- [14:31] – Renee shares a request they received at CastBox from a girl who is blind
- [18:31] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “The fear of failure was holding me back”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “You have only one life, just follow your heart, trust the path and look forward”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Coding helps keep my mind fluid”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – GitHub and Stack Overflow
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Lean Startup – “my startup philosophy is based on this book”
- 23:47 – Connect with Renee via email and get a Free Premium Membership for CastBox by using promo code: EOFire!
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Real Revenue: Follow JLD’s step-by-step system and turn ANY idea into a revenue generating MACHINE!