Robin Copernicus is an author, startup mentor, and startup community influencer. He is the founder of Vertical Liftoff (VLO): the first startup accelerator that helps founders skip investor funding.
The Vertical Method – Learn how to skip investor funding by going vertical with this free audio course!
Minimum Viable Mockup – Launch Your Startup Venture And Get Paying Users Without Relying On Pitch Decks, Business Plans, Or Giving Up Equity.
The Six Percent Entrepreneur – Robin’s Podcast.
Robin Copernicus Website – Check out Robin’s Website.
3 Value Bombs
1) Success is doing what you want whenever you want to do it. Be yourself and be comfortable with who you are.
2) Building a brand story and connection with your users are the things that copycats cannot take away from you.
3) Empower yourself by building a vertical startup that puts all the power in the founder’s hands – enjoy and profit simultaneously.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: How Business Schools Set Founders Up for Failure With Robin Copernicus
[1:24] – Robin shares something that he believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- He believes that success is doing what you want whenever you want to do it. Be yourself and be comfortable with who you are.
[4:35] – How has the startup world changed?
- Back in the day, if you wanted to launch a startup, you could do it by going after a huge market size.
- Venture building is fundamentally changing by focusing on a small niche, dominating that niche, and then you can start to expand to another niche.
[7:54] – Why is it essential for founders to keep 100% equity?
- Robin does not take equity. He believes that you are not a boss unless you get 100% of your equity.
- A lot of founders fail because they give up equity.
- There are ways to motivate co-founders that simulate equity.
[9:30] – Robin talks about Phantom Equity.
- Phantom Equity is the part that your co-founders can take, but you can still keep 100% of your vision and control with the company.
[10:40] – How can we protect startups from copycats?
- Most founders think that patents, NDA’s, and trademarks will protect them, but in reality, you need to have a bank account of stocks to defend those assets.
- You can protect your products with price, your brand story, and with your connection to your users.
- Building a brand story and connection with your users are the things that copycats cannot take away from you.
[15:51] – Robin shares his most advanced startup strategy.
- Founders build startups by focusing on products, and they end up losing money before they can even start marketing it, or they build a product that does not have a market.
- Robin’s startup strategy starts with having a community of early-stage startup founders.
- He helps pre-sell using a pre-sell social proof widget.
- Instead of focusing on the product, start focusing on your audience.
- You can buy other businesses and then add your audience to them.
[19:29] – What’s the number one reason startup founders fail?
- It only boils to one thing – they gave up and lost motivation.
- Robin believes that if the founder is motivated, they can go around the roadblock and make it happen.
- The Vertical Liftoff Program helps you establish the founder-market fit first – it gives you an eagle eyes view of your business.
[22:17] – What is a Six Percent Entrepreneur?
- A Six Percent Entrepreneur is a particular type of entrepreneur, and David Rose conceptualized it
- 3 Types of entrepreneurs:
- Consequential entrepreneurs
- Natural-born entrepreneurs
- Self-made entrepreneurs
- Natural-born entrepreneurs are the six percent entrepreneurs.
[27:00] – Robin’s parting piece of guidance.
- The Vertical Method – Learn how to skip investor funding by going vertical with this free audio course!
- Empower yourself by building a vertical startup that puts all the power in the founder’s hands – enjoy and profit simultaneously.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!