Rob Lowe is the host of the Giving Back podcast, a show dedicated to putting the spotlight on charities doing great work and good people doing amazing things to help others. After using The Freedom Journal to get his podcast rolling, he is now connecting people, organizations and resources to solve problems in their community.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- ScheduleOnce – Rob’s small business resource
- The One Thing and The Freedom Journal – Rob’s Top Business Book
- Giving Back Podcast – Rob’s podcast
- The Mastery Journal – Master Productivity, Discipline and Focus in 100 days!
- Funnel On Fire – Learn how to create a funnel that converts in 8 days!
3 Key Points:
- Be purposeful in everything that you do.
- Free yourself from distractions by focusing on the big picture.
- Do that intentional act of kindness and you will reap more value in your life.
- LegalZoom: Invest your time and money in your business, and use LegalZoom for the legal stuff. Save even more by entering EOF in the referral box at checkout!
- City National Bank: Looking for financial resources to help get your business to that next level? Visit CNB.com/fire! City National Bank member FDIC.
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:55] – Rob shares what it’s like to meet people who do amazing things to help others
- [01:20] – “It just lifts me up”
- [01:56] – Growth gained through helping is also applicable to businesses
- [02:35] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Rob’s specialty is helping people help people. The big value bomb is being purposeful.
- [03:10] – Rob works with individuals and companies both local and regional
- [03:22] – When people are purposeful, they purposefully – with intention – allow their value of giving back to be part of their company, and the rewards are incredible
- [03:58] – Rob shares examples of companies being purposeful
- [05:41] – Respond to an opportunity you see and do it with passion and love
- [05:52] – What was your goal for The Freedom Journal and how did you crush it? “My goal for The Freedom Journal was to get a podcast going and to meet people who are making a difference to others in need”
- [07:42] – The Freedom Journal’s first piece, “I am grateful for ______” and the specificity of the journal helped Rob throughout the 100 days
- [08:17] – Rob also notes one of his favorite parts: that the recap starts with appreciation
- [09:48] – Going deeper into The Freedom Journal changes the beginning of your day
- [10:51] – How do you define Productivity? “Productivity means effectiveness”
- [11:40] – Rob’s biggest struggle is getting distracted by other work
- [12:27] – How do you define Discipline? “Discipline, that’s a journey itself, to me discipline is believing I am worth the effort and achieving excellence”
- [13:09] – Discipline is dedication to being the very best of you
- [13:31] – Rob’s struggle with discipline is having fear and doubt that he’s not good enough
- [14:06] – Another struggle for Rob is fear of what others will say
- [14:27] – How do you define FOCUS? “Focus is a piece I look at in terms of action”
- [15:07] – Rob struggles to stay focused, too
- [15:25] – Keep your eye on the ball – on the big picture
- [15:35] – Focus is purposeful action
- [15:41] – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days! Check out The Mastery Journal!
- [16:08] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “It was the man in the mirror”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom” – Viktor E. Franki
- Share an Internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – ScheduleOnce
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The One Thing and The Freedom Journal
- [18:49] – The biggest thing for Rob is that he figured out the secret sauce
- [19:08] – Register at GivingBackPodcast.com or send an email to: [email protected]
- [19:57] – Listen to your wives’ dreams because if you don’t, somebody else will
- [20:18] – Everybody wants to connect, everybody wants to know they have value
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!