Rocky is graduate of St John’s University, class of 1980. He likes to talk about how hard work and enthusiasm are still critical components of success, whether in a big company, as an entrepreneur, or in life in general.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
LinkedIn – Rocky’s small business resource
Lessons from the Mouse – Rocky’s Top Business Book
Tighten the Lug Nuts – Rocky’s book
3Sixty Management Services – Rocky’s website
Connect with Rocky via email
The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE Courses for you!
3 Value Bombs
1) Learn how to do all the jobs and roles in your company, and your employees will respect you 1) like never before.
2) Always do the right thing.
3) Be transparent with your customers.
Four Sigmatic: Mushroom Coffee – that doesn’t actually taste like mushrooms – and that has a ton of benefits! It tastes just like regular coffee, and I love that it gives me a strong and steady energy force that lasts the entire day thanks to the active ingredient: Lion’s mane mushroom. Visit FourSigmatic.com/fire and enter promo code FIRE for 15% off your order today!
DesignCrowd: If you’re not much of a designer, but are looking for ideas for your next logo, websites design or even your new business cards, then DesignCrowd can help! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire for a special one $100 VIP offer for Fire Nation!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[01:07] – Rocky worked his way through college as a part-timer at UPS
[02:50] – Throughout his UPS career, Rocky learned the importance of taking time to learn each job
[03:59] – JLD graduated from Providence College through an ROTC scholarship
[04:42] – Rocky’s area of expertise is in motivation
[05:15] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: The role you play in carrying your brand forward is always important
[05:52] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Rocky took a job as CEO of a company. In 6 months, they experienced an unfortunate fraud situation. The lowest point for Rocky was having the job he always wanted, but he didn’t really know what he was getting into at that company. He decided to stay for the 3,000 people who did nothing wrong
[07:35] – “You have to set the tone from the top”
[08:34] – When it comes to doing the right thing, it hurts, but you have to do it
[09:48] – As entrepreneurs, you have to make sure your highs are not too high, and your lows not too low
[10:33] – “You have to stay the course!”
[11:42] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Rocky’s vacations as a kid from New Jersey were not elaborate ones. One time, they went to the Hershey’s factory in Pennsylvania. As he walked through the facilities he thought about how Hershey’s had confidence and trust in their people. He thought that if ever he’d have a business, his business would be transparent and open with their customers
[17:03] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I think it was the fact that I grew up in a large organization”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Learn the job and learn some more”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “You have to have hard work, but you need enthusiasm, too”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – LinkedIn
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Lessons from the Mouse – “it talks about the concept of everything speaks”
19:24 – Tighten the Lug Nuts: Rocky’s book
[19:43] – “It’s not about you, it’s about your people”
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!