Ryan Levesque is the CEO of The ASK Method ® Company, and the #1 national best-selling author of Ask, which was named by Inc. as the #1 Marketing Book of the Year. He is also a co-founder and investor in bucket.io®, a leading marketing funnel software for entrepreneurs.
His latest book Choose helps readers avoid making the single biggest mistake when starting a business and guides people through answering the all important question: What type of business should you start?
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
Ryan’s new book, Choose – Get a free, hard cover copy – just pay for shipping – plus over $200 in bonuses (including the audiobook, top 25 lucrative niche markets for 2019, and the launch your business mindset training!)
3 Value Bombs
1) Stop trying to figure out the answer to “what”. The question that you have to think about is “who” – not “what”.
2) Starting a business is like putting a raft in a river.
3) You don’t have to get it perfect, you just have to get it going; and the best time to get it going is right here, right now.
ZipRecruiter: When it comes to hiring, you can save time and get more qualified candidates fast with ZipRecruiter. And right now, you can try ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter.com/fire! ZipRecruiter. The smartest way to hire.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: How to Decide What Type of Business to Start Based on Your Personality with Ryan Levesque
[01:36] – Ryan shares something interesting about himself that most people don’t know
- Ryan is a huge fan of Lego!
[03:14] – John asks Ryan about how he got started…
- He was working in a corporate job and he wanted to make $10k a month.
- He quit his job in 2008.
- His second business went from zero to 25,000 in 18 months
- He went on to launch 23 different businesses all in different markets
- Last year they passed 10 million dollars across all of those business.
[04:50] – What’s the single biggest mistake people make before starting their business?
- The biggest mistake is they start by asking the wrong question.
- People are trying to figure out the answer to “what”.
- The question that you have to think about is “who” not “what”.
- “What” will come, but “who” is the foundation on which everything else is built
- The biggest research project in his life has been teaching a methodology that he used to choose the 23 different markets he went into.
[07:14] – Why did you decide to write the book Choose?
- The first book that he published called Ask is a marketing methodology to figure exactly what customers want to buy.
- The book went on to be very successful and sold hundreds of thousands of copies.
- He realized there is a common thread among virtually every single failure – people chose bad markets to go into.
- Starting a business is like putting a raft in a river; if you put that raft facing the wrong direction, you would never get to your destination.
- The most important decision before starting your business is deciding what your market is.
[11:49] – Who is this book for?
- This book is for anyone who dreams of becoming their own boss, starting their own business, doing their own thing, and anyone who is still trying to figure out what they want to be when they grow up.
[13:12] – There are four types of people who want to start their own business – who are they?
- The mission based entrepreneur: the people who have a cause they would die on the hill for.
- The passion based entrepreneur: they move the world toward what they love
- The opportunity based entrepreneur: the people who asked themselves, “how is it that nobody has created a solution for this yet?”
- The undecided entrepreneur: those who start with the practice business.
- There is a free assessment in Ryan’s book that helps you identify what type of business you should start based on your personality.
- This assessment will help give you clarity around what type of business you should start!
[20:44] – A timeout to thank our sponsor, ZipRecruiter!
[21:19] – What are the 5 Market Must-Haves?
- #1 Evergreen market – a market that is going to be relevant 10 years from now, and that was relevant 10 years ago.
- #2 Enthusiast market – a customer will stay for years; these are markets where you can sell multiple things to same customer over time.
- #3 Urgent Problem – you are looking for a solution to a problem people need to solve immediately.
- #4 Future Problems – you are looking for markets where success is going to lead to another problem that needs to be solved in the future.
- #5 PWMs (players with money) – focus on the market or the field with PWM.
[30:50] – What are some of the other mistakes people make when choosing a market?
- The first problem is going into a market that is too big or too small.
- Pioneers get shot, settlers get rich.
- The hint is: look at the level of advertising spent online in that area and that will give you the sweet spot you are looking for.
[36:56] – Break down your book, Choose, for Fire Nation.
- Grab a FREE hard cover copy of the book – just pay a small shipping fee – and Ryan will also hook you up with over $200 and free bonuses! Just visit EOFire.com/choose!
- Bonuses include the audiobook, the top 25 most lucrative niches for 2019, and a training Ryan did for some his highest level clients: launch your business mindset training.
[39:49] – Ryan’s parting piece of guidance
- You don’t have to get it perfect, you just have to get it going; and the best time to get it going is right here, right now.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!