Sally Hogshead is an award winning branding expert, hall of fame speaker, and bestselling author of Fascinate: How to Make Your Brand Impossible to Resist and How the World Sees You. Hundreds of corporations and small businesses use her Fascinate system including Twitter, IBM and Porsche as well as universities such as NYU.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- FREE brand fascination profile! Brandfascination.com
- [email protected] – Sally Hogshead’s email address.
- The Fascinate Tactics Matrix PDF
4 Key Points:
- It is important to identify what makes your brand different and what does your brand do best.
- Always be different because different is better than better
- Marketing yourself can be difficult, so figure out the best ways to get the hard parts done so you can move on to the fun stuff that doesn’t leave you exhausted and allows you to love your brand again.
- Stand out and fortune favors the bold.
- ZipRecruiter: If you’re ready to start hiring, then ZipRecruiter is where you can find your perfect candidate! Try ZipRecruiter for free today at ziprecruiter.com/fire!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:38] – Sally announces her book has just become a New York Best Seller
- [03:43] – Started researching Fascination in 2006.
- [03:53] – “Fascination” is one of the oldest words in written language and it comes from ancient Latin and it means: to bewitch and hold captive so your listener is powerless to resist.
- [04:23] – Knew the why (we should fascinate as brands), but not the how.
- [04:55] – When it comes to writing, you can’t know the end until you get in the middle.
- [05:34] – Had system for identifying branding issues, but it was unconscious.
- [06:08] – I was creating two categories for any kind of product or service. The first: How is this brand different? The second: What does this brand do best?
- [08:14] – It is very difficult to market yourself.
- [09:00] – If you can’t afford a marketing agency, you have to do it yourself.
- [09:24] – There is no other industry in the world that doesn’t have a third option.
- [09:58] – “What if I could democratize marketing?”
- [12:05] – In marketing you can either be better or you can be different, but if you have a choice always be different because different is better than better.
- [12:56] – Sally takes EOFire through her Fascinate Process.
- [17:35] – When you don’t feel confident, your audience won’t be confident in you.
- [18:09] – Be strategically aligned in all your messaging.
- [18:32] – It’s in a marketing agencies best interest to make the process as complicated as possible.
- [19:03] – People deserve to have to tools to make their own decision.
- [19:46] – Sally is giving us the formula to understand and build a large brand.
- [20:14] – Sally is giving us the “fast pass”.
- [21:53] – The more fascinated you are in the moment of your work, the more money you can make.
- [22:17] – Taking the hard work away and leaving the fun part for you.
- [23:55] – The Unofficial Guide to Fire Nation
- [24:08] – You have a choice. You can either have the biggest budget, or you can be the most fascinating.
- [25:04] – I want to give you the tools to build your business without it being exhausting.
- [25:26] – Take the world off your shoulders
- [26:00] – Call to Action – A free assessment about your brand. (brandfascination.com)
- [27:53] – Request – Give Sally your case studies/breakthroughs ([email protected])
- [30:14] – Fortune favors the bold.
- [32:01] – Discusses Fascinate (book).
- [32:53] – Sally’s favorite example from Fascinate. (Surf shop implements a marketing technique)
- [34:37] – Parting Piece of Advice: Stand out or don’t bother.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!