Seth is the author of 19 international bestsellers translated into more than 35 languages, including Tribes, Purple Cow, Linchpin, The Dip, and This Is Marketing. He writes daily at Seths.blog, which is one of the most popular blogs in the world. He’s also the founder of the altMBA and The Akimbo Workshops, online seminars that have transformed the work of thousands of people. He’s in the Guerrilla Marketing Hall of Fame, the Direct Marketing Hall of Fame and, just recently, the Marketing Hall of Fame. His newest book is The Practice: Shipping Creative Work.
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
The Practice: Shipping Creative Work – Get Seth’s book on Amazon!
3 Value Bombs
1) Being generous is to charge somebody to do what you do and give more than expected.
2) Once you accept that attitudes are skills, you can learn a new attitude the same way you can learn anything else.
3) Please do not waste it: the leverage, the trust, the benefit of the doubt, the opportunity.
Thinkific: Join Thinkific’s first ever 5-day Course Challenge and walk away with a complete blueprint for your online course that you’ll be ready to put into action! Sign-up for this FREE challenge today at Thinkific.com/fire!
Thrivetime Show: Looking for a business coach who has helped thousands of entrepreneurs just like you to increase their profitability by an average of 104% per year? Schedule your free consultation today with Clay Clark at ThrivetimeShow.com/fire!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: How To Ship Creative Work With Seth Godin
[2:04] – Seth shares something interesting about himself that most people do not know.
- During the pandemic, his entire universe has been within a square mile – writing, working, cooking, and listening to Jazz.
[3:51] – Trust yourself: How big is the discard pile?
- Those who are successful in life have a big discard pile.
[6:18] – Generous: Change-makers in charge
- Being generous is to charge somebody to do what you do and give more than expected.
- What can you do for someone who could benefit from interacting with you?
- If you focus on a few people who will generously receive the work the way you intended, then you are on the best available path.
[8:52] – The Professional: Where is your hour?
- If you can serve a small group of people – even you don’t feel like it – it is at that moment that you are separating yourself from the crowd.
- Everybody has an hour a day.
- Your customers expect you to be a professional – do it often until it becomes a practice.
[11:00] – Intent: Toddlers don’t get it
- As an entrepreneur, you want to make change happen.
- You do it on purpose, and you own it.
- Embrace the practice, and be persistent in doing the work.
- This is a practice.
- It has a purpose.
- I desire to create change.
- The change is for someone specific.
- How can I do it better?
- Can I persist long enough to do it again?
[13:06] – A timeout to thank our sponsors, Thinkific and Thrivetime Show!
[15:43] – There’s no such thing as writer’s block: The essential quality of the Boogeyman
- Writer’s block is not about writing a book; it is about showing up with your work.
- The Boogeyman works because he doesn’t exist. He is the endlessness of all the things you fear.
- The moment you face the Boogeyman, that is the moment you are back in control.
[18:18] – Make assertions: Buzzer management
- Jeopardy’s lesson is not about knowing the answer; the key important thing is you press the buzzer first.
- Making assertions is pressing the buzzer when you think that you have a chance of knowing the answer by the time someone calls on you.
- The cost of making assertions is meager. If you do not make an assertion, you will never learn.
- “Too often, we wait until we’re sure we’re right.”
[20:17] – Earn Your Skills: Can you teach Indian food?
- It is not genetic for kids to like the food in a particular area; they were raised with it.
- If you are not getting what you want, the things you are doing aren’t getting you what you are hoping for, and then you can learn and do something else.
- Once you accept that attitudes are skills, you can learn a new attitude the same way you can learn anything else.
- “You don’t have to wait for it to happen; you can begin now.”
[22:37] – Seek out constraints: Is the moon covered in dust?
- Seth had an engagement with Neil Armstrong that changed the way he thinks about so many things.
- Entrepreneurs quickly get frustrated due to constraints; however, there would be no opportunity for you if there were no constraints.
- Entrepreneurs go to places where everybody else says it is impossible. Entrepreneurs seek out constraints and figure out the way around them. The next thing you know, you are back safely from the moon.
[25:37] – JLD shares a quote by Seth Godin from Tools of Titans.
- “People who have trouble coming up with good ideas, if they’re telling you the truth, will tell you they don’t have very many bad ideas. But people who have plenty of good ideas, if they’re telling the truth, will say they have even more bad ideas. So the goal isn’t to get good ideas; the goal is to get bad ideas. Because once you get enough bad ideas, then some good ones have to show up.”
[26:17] – Seth’s parting piece of guidance.
- Please do not waste it: the leverage, the trust, the benefit of the doubt, the opportunity.
- You are out there trying to make something better, do not waste it by hustling and by being selfish. Figure out who truly needs what you can contribute and help them get where they want to go.
[28:02] – How does one start to get into Jazz?
- Jazz is interesting because it is interesting.
- Go back to the ’50s and the ’60s.
- Listen to Cold Train, Miles Davis, and Thelonius Monk and start to look for the patterns.
- You will discover that it is possible to have tension from one paragraph to the next, and you are never sure if it will work or not.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!