Shawne is a good gossip researcher. You have seen this Six-Time Emmy winner featured in major media including, CNN, ABC, “Inc. Magazine”, and “USA Today” to name a few. Her case study is Project: Forgive, a non-profit leadership foundation that reaches millions in social media and is endorsed by Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Crowdfire – Shawne’s small business resource
- The Dip – Shawne’s top business book
- Shawne’s free 5-minute video – Avoid the most common media mistakes
- Shawne’s website
3 Key Points:
- Cashflow is king. Know your business, know where the profits are.
- Trust your gut about people. Be picky with your partners.
- You can never, never be an entrepreneur alone. Life is relationships. Build networks, connections and relationships.
- eVoice: No need for two phones – just get a second line added to your mobile phone! Use promo code FIRE for a 60-day free trial!
- ZipRecruiter – Are you ready to find your perfect hire? Right now you can post jobs on ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter.com/fire!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [02:08] – Shawne generates revenue from consulting and PR services
- [03:25] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Cutting ties with a partner who turned out to be a poor choice
- [05:07] – “We are our partnerships”
- [05:28] – Listen to your intuition about people
- [05:49] – “Hire slow, fire fast”
- [07:35] – Give yourself time and space to reflect
- [07:53] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: A moment of faith and guidance
- [10:35] – We can become self-fulfilling prophecies
- [11:15] – Mastermind groups
- [11:45] – It’s great to surround yourself with people who have different strengths than you
- [12:55] – Surround yourself with amazing people
- [13:17] – Biggest weakness? – “I’m exceptionally sensitive. I also have a tough time saying no.”
- [14:40] – Say ‘yes’ when you’re starting out – but down the track, scale back
- [15:45] – Biggest strength? – “I have the ability to be terrified – and to do it anyway”
- 16:35 – What has Shawne most fired up today? “Our case study for Project: Forgive”
- [20:20] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I worked in news. I didn’t want to give up the power of credibility.”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Know your frickin’ numbers. Cashflow is king.”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Netflix”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Crowdfire
- If you could recommend just one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Dip
- Imagine you woke up tomorrow morning in a brand new world, identical to earth, but you knew no one. You still have all the experiences and knowledge you currently have – your food and shelter taken cared of – but all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – “Start connecting with folks to find the influencers. Create or find a network and start connecting with people online.”
- 24:40 – Visit Shawne’s website for a free 5-minute media training video.
- [25:45] – Parting piece of guidance: “Forgive yourself for not forgiving yourself”
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, Grow and monetize YOUR Podcast!