Steven is a nationally recognized author, speaker, researcher and performance expert and considered one of the leading authorities on the connection between time, productivity, and performance.
The Time Cleanse – Check out Steven’s new book, plus download your free Time Saving Toolkit, which includes Steven’s 10 favorite ways to save time!
Steven’s FREE Online Master Class – Get Steven’s Master Class on Time Free When You Order The Time Cleanse!
1) Time management is based on the fact that time is scarce and limited. When we shift to what’s called “time performance”, we create a positive relationship with time.
2) When you are task switching, which is multitasking for purposes of this conversation, your IQ goes down by 10%!
3) Ask yourself, “Is this contributing to or contaminating my happiness and success?” If it’s toxic, remove it.
ZipRecruiter: Successful businesses rely on quality people. But finding quality people can be tough. That’s why I love ZipRecruiter! Its powerful technology scans thousands of resumes to identify people with the right skills and experience, and then actively invites them to apply for your job! That means you get quality candidates fast. And right now you can try ZipRecruiter for free! Visit ZipRecruiter.com/fire. ZipRecruiter. The smartest way to hire!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: The Time Cleanse with Steven Griffith
[00:56] – Steven shares something interesting about himself that most people don’t know
- Several years ago he was invited to Walter Reed Hospital to teach mindfulness
[02:06] – What’s the difference between managing time and performing with time?
- The concept of time management is outdated today.
- Time management is based on the fact that time is scarce and limited.
- When we shift to what’s called “time performance”, we create a positive relationship with time.
[04:03] – What’s my “time type”?
- There are two time types
- #1 is the time watchdog: the person that’s on time, early, values time, and who is very structured with time.
- The other type is the time lounger, who is someone that gets caught in time, doesn’t show up on time, but they value being in the present moment and time gets away.
[06:03] – Once we’ve identified our time type what do we do next?
- Know what your time type is, and know the time types of your employees – it can affect how you build a team.
- Have a conversation with the people on your team and discuss your time type differences so you understand and can create a strategy.
[08:00] – How can I master the art of multitasking?
- The true definition of multitasking is doing more than one thing at a time.
- Steven has identified something he likes to call Mindful Multitasking.
- First, know that when you are task switching, which is multitasking for this conversation, your IQ goes down by 10%.
- #1 solution is to be aware.
- Pick activities that are not high value or high relational activities when you’re multitasking
- Set a timer.
- Speed multitasking is when you are mindfully shifting your awareness – this keeps you more focused
[11:06] – What’s one thing you want Fire Nation to understand most about multitasking?
- Designate a time when you are going to multitask, and set your timer.
- Your timer is your most valuable and precious resource.
13:55 – A timeout to thank our sponsor, ZipRecruiter!
[14:02] – How can you improve your performance during any given work hour?
- This starts with the concept of “timefulness”: being present in the moment.
- Turn all notifications off.
- Your environment needs to be inspiring.
- Cluster similar activities.
- Email: designate a time when you check your email.
- Then, rest after you work. This will allow you to recharge and come back and crush it again.
[18:53] – What is “Timefulness”, and how can it change our relationship with time?
- “Timefulness” is not a replacement for mindfulness; it’s about being present so you can focus on and improve the quality, experience, and performance of your time.
- It starts with understanding what you are committed to.
- Determine where your time goes.
- Time is for one reason, and that is to create memories that matter and become our legacy.
[21:43] – How can we get back hours in our day to do the things we really want to do?
- Realize what’s important and commit to it.
- Recognize where you’re spending your time.
- Ask yourself, “Is this contributing to or contaminating my happiness and success?”
- If it’s toxic remove it.
- The key here is to look at what’s contributing and what’s contaminating.
[24:22] – Parting piece of guidance
- You are 100% responsible for your time, and you’ve got to protect it.
- Don’t let the outside world take it away from you.
- The Time Cleanse – Check out Steven’s new book: A proven system to eliminate wasted time, realize your full potential, & reinvest in what matters most. And don’t forget to download your FREE Time Saving Toolkit!
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!