Taylor Pearson is the Author of The End of Jobs. Inc Magazine rated The End of Jobs one of the Top Three ‘Start Your Own Business’ Books of 2015 and a Top Business Book of 2015. A former Brazilian Super Bowl champion, Taylor has lived in Argentina, Brazil, Vietnam, and Thailand.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Freedom – Taylor’s small business resource
- Sapiens – Taylor’s top business book
- The End of Jobs
- Taylor’s website
- Connect with Taylor on Twitter
3 Key Points:
- Get out of the building. Don’t start making anything until you’ve really talked to your market.
- Don’t look for emotional security. Dancing on the edge of failure isn’t a bad thing.
- Don’t be paralyzed by the big picture. You don’t need the perfect solution, you just need to get started.
- eVoice: No need for two phones – just get a second line added to your mobile phone! Use promo code FIRE for a 60-day free trial!
- Toptal: Find the perfect developer or designer to help bring your next project to live with Toptal’s 2-week, no risk trial. Visit Toptal.com/fire or shoot me an email and I’ll personally introduce you to an executive at Toptal who can help you get set up!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:26] – Traveling to Argentina during college opened Taylor’s eyes to the possibilities of different kinds of work
- [03:22] – Taylor generates revenue from book sales and consulting clients
- [04:07] – Income of $2-4k a month from Amazon sales
- [05:31] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Having a software business completely flop after investing a high 5-figures in it
- [08:04] – People don’t necessarily switch to better models…
- [09:25] – “Get out of the building – talking to the market is the single most important thing”
- [09:55] – The 10x model: is it 10x cheaper, 10x faster, or 10x better?
- [12:05] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: A fantastic book launch – Taylor found the relationships he’d invested in paying off
- [15:15] – Know your numbers!
- [16:26] – Your biggest strength is often the flip side of your biggest weakness
- [16:45] – Biggest strength? – “Systems thinking”
- [16:51] – Biggest weakness? – “Inaction – I see the big picture and get too focused on perfection instead of getting started”
- [17:13] – What has Taylor most fired up today? – “The amount of agency that we have over our lives”
- [20:48] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Imposter syndrome”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “When people are dancing on the edge of failure but they keep moving forward, that’s when they feel alive”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Dilettante input and focused output”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Freedom
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Sapiens
- [27:42] – Parting piece of guidance: “Find your fear and learn to dance with it”
- [27:51] – Connect with Taylor via email, on Twitter, or through his website
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!