Tema helps businesses deliver fantastic customer experiences online and off. She recruited 75,000 people worldwide using social media techniques before social media existed for her first company, Web Mystery Shoppers. A Best-selling author and host of the Frank Reactions podcast, she just released her second book, People Shock: The Path to Profits When Customers Rule.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Active Inbox –Tema’s small business resource
- The Effective Executive – Tema’s top business book
- Frank Reactions – Tema’s podcast
- People Shock – Tema’s book
3 Key Points:
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. Failing once doesn’t make you a failure – move forward.
- Listen to people. They’ll tell you what you need to know.
- Form connections. Introduce people. Add value to the networks you’re in.
- ZipRecruiter – Are you ready to find your perfect hire? Right now you can post jobs on ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter.com/fire!
- Allstate: As a veteran, I know how hard it is looking for a career after the military. But what if I told you there was a way to put everything you’d learned from the military to good use in a career where you get to help others? That’s what owning an Allstate agency is all about.
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:46] – Tema started out as a lobbyist for the banking industry – she took an MBA and switched into marketing
- [02:22] – Self-published a Best-seller on employers for women in 1994
- [02:45] – Set up Web Mystery Shoppers in 2002
- [03:21] – Tema generates revenue through speaking, teaching, and consulting
- [03:50] – Began with consulting – turned into a teacher – and then began paid speaking engagements
- [04:37] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Giving up her list of 75,000 people because she didn’t feel she could go forward
- [06:21] – Don’t be too hard on yourself – and don’t throw away what you have
- [08:10] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Realizing in the late 1990’s that people should be able to buy things online
- [09:26] – Be alive to the opportunities around you
- [11:10] – Find the right approach to opportunities – one that uses your strengths
- [11:30] – Biggest weakness? – “I hate picking up the phone and talking to people”
- [11:59] – Biggest strength? – “I love listening to people and helping them”
- [12:34] – What has Tema most fired up today? “My upcoming book, People Shock”
- [14:56] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Having a well-paid, interesting job”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Ask for what you want, because you just might get it”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I’m constantly learning”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Active Inbox
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Effective Executive
- Imagine you woke up tomorrow morning in a brand new world, identical to Earth, but you knew no one. You still have all the experiences and knowledge you currently have – your food and shelter is taken cared of – but all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – “Get online, find events, and start meeting people. Then I’d start connecting people to each other.”
- 19:33 – Connect with Tema by email or on twitter
- [20:00] – Parting piece of guidance: “Listen to people and try to form human connections”
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!