Tema helps businesses deliver fantastic customer experiences online and off. She recruited 75,000 people worldwide using social media techniques before social media existed for her first company, Web Mystery Shoppers. A Best-selling author and host of the Frank Reactions podcast, she just released her second book, People Shock: The Path to Profits When Customers Rule.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Tema shares her incredible journey on EOFire today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:46] – Tema started out as a lobbyist for the banking industry – she took an MBA and switched into marketing
- [02:22] – Self-published a Best-seller on employers for women in 1994
- [02:45] – Set up Web Mystery Shoppers in 2002
- [03:21] – Tema generates revenue through speaking, teaching, and consulting
- [03:50] – Began with consulting – turned into a teacher – and then began paid speaking engagements
- [04:37] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Giving up her list of 75,000 people because she didn’t feel she could go forward
- [06:21] – Don’t be too hard on yourself – and don’t throw away what you have
- [08:10] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Realizing in the late 1990’s that people should be able to buy things online
- [09:26] – Be alive to the opportunities around you
- [11:10] – Find the right approach to opportunities – one that uses your strengths
- [11:30] – Biggest weakness? – “I hate picking up the phone and talking to people”
- [11:59] – Biggest strength? – “I love listening to people and helping them”
- [12:34] – What has Tema most fired up today? “My upcoming book, People Shock”
- [14:56] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Having a well-paid, interesting job”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Ask for what you want, because you just might get it”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I’m constantly learning”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Active Inbox
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Effective Executive
- Imagine you woke up tomorrow morning in a brand new world, identical to Earth, but you knew no one. You still have all the experiences and knowledge you currently have – your food and shelter is taken cared of – but all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – “Get online, find events, and start meeting people. Then I’d start connecting people to each other.”
- 19:33 – Connect with Tema by email or on twitter
- [20:00] – Parting piece of guidance: “Listen to people and try to form human connections”
3 Key Points:
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. Failing once doesn’t make you a failure – move forward.
- Listen to people. They’ll tell you what you need to know.
- Form connections. Introduce people. Add value to the networks you’re in.
- Active Inbox –Tema’s small business resource
- The Effective Executive – Tema’s top business book
- Audible – Get a 30-day free trial of fantastic audiobooks
- Frank Reactions – Tema’s podcast
- People Shock – Tema’s book
- ZipRecruiter – Are you ready to find your perfect hire? Right now you can post jobs on ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter.com/fire!
- Allstate: As a veteran, I know how hard it is looking for a career after the military. But what if I told you there was a way to put everything you’d learned from the military to good use in a career where you get to help others? That’s what owning an Allstate agency is all about.
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) Free Podcast Course: A 15-day course that will share how to create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!
3) The Webinar Course: A 10-day course that will share how to create and present Webinars that convert!