Tyson is Partner & Chief Comm Officer at Why Blue Matters®. A Forbes 30 Under 30 Nominee for C/O ’17, GQ Insider, Socialpreneur, Creative Brand Strategist, Serial Entrepreneur, Marketer & Public Speaker. He is the Co-author of Inspired by BLUE and a USAF Vet with a knack for helping brands reach their full potential.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
Slack – Tyson’s small business resource
Ethics 101: What Every Leaders Needs to Know – Tyson’s Top Business Book
Tyson Moultrie – Tyson’s website
Inspired by Blue – Tyson’s book
3 Value Bombs
1) Instead of thinking about your response, take time to actually listen to what someone is trying to relay to you.
2) Constantly improve and innovate whatever space you touch.
3) It’s easy to just sit there, be quiet, and do nothing when faced with failure – go out and do the exact opposite to achieve success.
DesignCrowd: If you’re not much of a designer, but are looking for ideas for your next logo, websites design or even your new business cards, then DesignCrowd can help! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire for a special one $100 VIP offer for Fire Nation!
Storyblocks: Download all the stock your heart desires from Storyblocks’ Member Library, which includes 400,000 stunning photos, vectors, textures, and icons. Plus, all content is royalty-free so you can use it for commercial and personal projects! Visit Storyblocks.com/fire to try it free for 7 days!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[01:01] – Having his first son at an early age led Tyson to take things more seriously than his peers
[01:48] – Tyson’s area of expertise is in communicating and creating relationships
[02:00] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as entrepreneurs, we probably should: What’s more important than thinking about how you’ll respond to someone, is actually listening to what they are trying to say to you
[02:49] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: As a 16 year old, Tyson started an airbrushing business with a friend of his; he had a tough time managing it
[03:54] – It’s important for an entrepreneur to have an unwavering belief and put it into action
[04:36] – Tyson talks about the philosophy behind starting their nonprofit—not wanting to be a threat and one that advocates diversity in the workplace
[07:22] – Don’t make excuses—push through
[07:28] – Entrepreneurial AH–HA Moment: In 2010, Tyson realized that brands were not leveraging social media effectively to connect with consumers on a human level. They launched a campaign with an energy drink, which was hugely successful and formed the basis of their business
[09:02] – Look at what is missing and fill in the gap
[09:10] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “Seizing the opportunity that we are given every day to change whatever we don’t like about our life, business or position”
[12:26] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Breaking through the initial mindset struggles”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Failure is easy. Just sit there, be quiet and do nothing. I took that and said: I am going to do the exact opposite”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Constantly wanting to improve and innovate whatever space I touch”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Slack
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Ethics 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
[15:51] – Parting piece of guidance: “Everyone just go out there and do your best at everything you touch”
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!