Alex is the Chief Marketing Sumo for InspireBeats and is responsible for generating over $20 million dollars in B2B leads this year. He and the team at InspireBeats have sent over 1 million cold emails to funded startups and software as a service companies in the last two years.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Streak – Alex’s small business resource
- The 10x Rule – Alex’s top business book
- Alex Berman on YouTube
- InspireBeats – All-in-one lead generation
3 Key Points:
- Be accountable to someone for your progress. Your business won’t take off until you work on it seriously, every day.
- Work in your own business when you start. Know how things work under the hood and how to sell your product – that way, even when you’re management, you know how things work
- Don’t give up. The people who succeed are the ones who can stick at it the longest.
- Qualaroo: Start engaging with your customers in real-time, collect valuable insights, and increase conversions. Sign up today and get your first 2 weeks of service free!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:06] – Alex and his team have generated over $200 million in leads for clients in the last 2 years
- [02:05] – InspireBeats offers lead generation services and they write customized cold emails
- [02:49] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Having no faith in himself – and hiring the wrong person when he started his company
- [03:43] – He started with a human sales team that had high costs – but he noticed a SaaS company whose clients wanted a few people involved instead of just tech
- [04:55] – “My biggest mistake was outsourcing too early”
- [05:30] – If you do your own work from the start, you know how everything works under the hood
- [06:20] – Alex closed three leads for his future partner in less than 2 days and got a merger as a result
- [07:41] – “Make your first 10 sales yourself. If you can’t sell your product, don’t expect other people to be able to do it for you”
- [08:00] – A Dynamite Circle conference changed Alex’s perceptions
- [08:25] – “If you’re the smartest person in the room, find another room”
- [09:04] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Finding out that writing customized emails worked FAR better than writing the perfect template
- [10:10] – Don’t try to come up with the perfect template or perfect strategy – just execute
- [11:01] – Biggest weakness? – “Attention to detail – I’m horribly disorganized”
- [11:59] – Biggest strength? – “I’m good on the fly – and I’m honest when I’m selling”
- [12:41] – What has Alex most fired up today? – “We’re creating a YouTube channel that’s doing really well”
- [15:21] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Lack of accountability”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Get the sale”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Keeping a to-do list everyday”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Streak
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The 10x Rule
- Imagine you woke up tomorrow morning in a brand new world, identical to earth, but you knew no one. You still have all the experiences and knowledge you currently have – your food and shelter taken care of – but all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – Go over to AngelList and see who’s hiring. Guess their email addresses using something like Email Hunter, and send them a super targeted cold email offering my services
- [18:09] – Parting piece of guidance? “Don’t give up. Just keep going”
- 18:36 – Connect with Alex on YouTube
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Webinar Course: Create a Webinar that converts!