Benjamin is a top writer on Medium.com since late 2015. He gained over 300,000 email subscribers in 2 and a half years. His first book, Willpower Doesn’t Work, comes out March 6, 2018.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Free Training: 3 hours to YOUR BIG IDEA! Follow JLD’s step-by-step system and in just 3 hours you’ll discover YOUR BIG IDEA!
- Willpower Doesn’t Work – Ben’s new book
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- Memoir – Learn about the life story of one significant individual in every new series of JLD’s new podcast
3 Key Points:
- It’s your environment that shapes who you are.
- Your choices shape your personality.
- Put yourself in situations that will mold you to be the person you want to be.
- I Love Franchising: If you’re tired of Corporate America and want to step into owning your own business, then the time to make a move is NOW. …And why not make that move into franchising? Erik of I Love Franchising has personally helped over 1,000 people transition out of Corporate American and into Franchise Ownership, and you can take your first step towards doing the same today. Visit ILoveFranchising.com/fire to download Erik’s free eBook, The Franchising Playbook, today!
- DesignCrowd: If you’re not much of a designer, but are looking for ideas for your next logo, websites design or even your new business cards, then DesignCrowd can help! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire for a special one $100 VIP offer for Fire Nation!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:21] – Ben has been writing on Medium for the past 3 years
- [01:44] – He is almost finished with his doctorate in psychology
- [02:05] – He’s been a foster parent of 3 kids for 3 years
- 02:32 – Ben was on episode 1658 of Entrepreneurs On Fire
- [03:44] – Ben believes that great responsibility creates great power
- [04:05] – Being a foster parent forced Ben to act in a different way
- [05:13] – Ben talks about the opposites in self-help today
- [08:20] – Ben’s book, Willpower Doesn’t Work, is about how environment shapes you
- [08:32] – “A forcing function is an environmental constraint that forces you to act a certain way”
- [10:15] – Shape the situation where you can rise up
- [11:03] – All behaviors are outsourced from the environment
- [11:56] – Put yourself in situations that will force you to be the person you want to be
- [13:21] – Gamify your life and create a competition with someone
- [15:26] – Ben has studied the difference between wannabe entrepreneurs and actual entrepreneurs
- [15:57] – Almost all actual entrepreneurs had a point-of-no-return experience
- [17:01] – Ben shares experiences of the entrepreneurs he has interviewed
- [18:58] – JLD talks about “the baby effect”
- [20:26] – “If you want to have something you don’t have, you need to become someone you’re not currently”
- [20:43] – Most books lead you astray
- [22:18] – The ability of any man can be doubled if the situation demanded it
- [22:58] – “Change your environment to make quantum leaps”
- [24:24] – Get your copy of Willpower Doesn’t Work today!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Goals Course: Accomplish a meaningful goal!