Bob went from doing his first ever video on social media last August (had never made a single dollar online), to building a million dollar online training company in less than a year. He teaches entrepreneurs what it means to build a business around their personal brand, and how to use live streaming video to generate leads and make more sales.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Voxer – Bob’s small business resource
- The War of Art – Bob’s Top Business Book
- Bob’s website
- Connect with Bob via his podcast
- FunnelOnFire – Learn how to create a funnel that converts!
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Live video humanizes you—people build trust in you by seeing both your strengths and your flaws.
- You don’t need to be an expert to teach, you just need to be willing to share the value within you.
- You’re ONE decision away from changing your life.
- Square: Accept payments quickly and easily. Visit Square.com/fire and if you sign up now you’ll get free processing on your first $500 in sales!
- Masters of Scale: The stories you’ll hear on Masters of Scale are always honest, always useful and often pretty funny. In each show, Reid Hoffman talks to famous founders about what REALLY happens as companies grow from zero to a gazillion. Subscribe to Masters of Scale in Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you love to listen!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:08] – Bob’s business is only 1.5 years old
- [01:14] – He primarily makes money online through selling courses and coaching
- [01:24] – He’s newly married and is from Philadelphia
- [01:46] – His area of expertise is in live videos
- [01:56] – His first video was in August 2015 – the same time Periscope was becoming popular
- [02:13] – Bob made a video every day for 6 months and didn’t make a single dollar
- [02:21] – In the course of 11 months, he turned it into a million-dollar online training company
- [02:34] – “If you can build – know, like and trust”
- [02:40] – Live video helps people to know, love, and trust you
- [02:57] – Live video humanizes you
- [03:02] – The only way to make a connection is to show people they can trust you; and trust comes from seeing your flaws
- [03:33] – “The fastest way to massive success is to out-teach the competition”
- [04:51] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Learning out loud – taking the things you’ve learned and teaching it to other people
- [05:24] – Common sense is not always common practice
- [05:56] – You don’t have to be an expert to leverage the power of live video
- [06:17] – Giving value over and over is the easiest way to gain success
- [07:36] – Don’t have that curse of knowledge
- [08:06] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Bob spent 5 years in the network marketing profession, but in a span of 7 months, he had 2 businesses close on him. In August 2015, Bob was 40 years old, newly engaged, and literally had no money coming in. He woke up one day with a letter from his fiancée and for the first time in Bob’s life, he didn’t really know if he believed in himself
- [09:17] – He went live on Periscope and decided he would do that for the next 30 days
- [10:12] – Bob focused on adding value and on teaching for 6 months
- [10:29] – After six months, January 2016, he had a multiple 6-figure month
- [10:58] – JLD believes people can build trust without having any product to sell
- [11:28] – Giving value with no reciprocity needed
- [12:28] – Understand the power of marketing
- [13:02] – Be willing to give without asking in return
- [13:09] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: After adding value for 6 months, Bob was able to move into his first webinar. It was on a Periscope broadcast where he offered a sales page and a $37 training program on Facebook. 10 minutes later, he had sold his product to 100 people. In 11 days he had 1100 sales.
- [15:06] – Every day, Bob made a mini-training or snippet video of what he had to offer
- [15:33] – “You’re never selling just for selling’s sake”
- [15:39] – Selling is training
- [16:22] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “Teaching other entrepreneurs the power of being able to get over that fear and put themselves out there”
- [17:12] – Every one of us has greatness to share
- [18:11] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “The fear of public speaking”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Different is better than better”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Learning every day”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Voxer
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The War of Art – “the book talks about really what’s necessary to achieve that greatness”
- [21:45] – “You are one decision away from a totally different life”
- [22:12] – Your content is part of your legacy
- 22:41 – Connect with Bob on his website and podcast
- 23:00 – Get a FREE Live Video Checklist from Bob here
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, Grow and monetize YOUR Podcast!