The Robin Hood of hiring, Brad Owens spent a decade helping Fortune 500 companies find talent. Now he helps small businesses attract, hire, and retain their teams.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Zoom – Brad’s small business resource
Why Employees Are Always a Bad Idea – Brad’s Top Business Book
HR Coaching – Brad’s podcast
Free Podcast Course – A free 15 day course on how to Create, Grow, & Monetize YOUR Podcast!
The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
3 Value Bombs
1) Make a statement in your job ad that communicates why people would want to work with you.
2) Seek experts for their feedback and learn to trust that feedback.
3) Change what you’re hiring for.
I Love Franchising: If you’re tired of Corporate America and want to step into owning your own business, then the time to make a move is NOW. …And why not make that move into franchising? Erik of I Love Franchising has personally helped over 1,000 people transition out of Corporate American and into Franchise Ownership, and you can take your first step towards doing the same today. Visit ILoveFranchising.com/fire to download Erik’s free eBook, The Franchising Playbook, today!
Go To Webinar: My BEST marketing strategy? Hosting LIVE WEBINARS. And Go To Webinar has the reliability and the features you need to deliver webinars your audience will love. For more information, visit GoToWebinar.com/fire!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[00:56] – Brad is married, has 2 kids and a golden retriever
[01:03] – He’s helped more than one-third of the Fortune 500 companies find talent
[01:46] – His area of expertise is in helping small businesses with their hiring problems to creating their corporate culture
[02:00] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: “The best companies don’t hire — they attract!”
[02:57] – Put one sentence on top of your job ad that communicates why people would want to work in your company
[03:38] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: All Brad does is hiring. The very first time he had to be a leader, he really didn’t know how he’d figure it out. So he went to the experts in his field and talked to them about his idea. Each person he went to, unfortunately, told him that his idea wouldn’t work in its current form. He went home and cried
[05:09] – “You need to trust others who know what they’re doing”
[06:09] – “Do not give up on making an impact”
[07:44] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Brad has been helping Fortune 500 companies for over a decade. He’s recently been involved in his local community and started talking to small businesses and entrepreneur groups. One topic they discussed was about how hard it is to hire and retain employees. He realized he could do that! So he chose one person in his group to test out his idea with. After their session, the person went back to him and told him that his employees became more motivated
[09:25] – “Just do it! Just try”
[11:21] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Imposter syndrome”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “This might fail, but what if it doesn’t?”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Planning tomorrow today”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Zoom
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Why Employees Are Always a Bad Idea – “it’s a mindset shift for people who are there to be a part of your corporate machine – it’s about hiring those who make meaning, not just money”
[12:54] – It can be overwhelming to revamp your hiring process, but you will have to start at some point — change what you’re hiring for
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!