Entrepreneur and author Brian Scudamore pioneered the industry of professional junk removal with 1-800-GOT-JUNK?, turning a chore into an exceptional customer service experience. Then scaled that success into two more brands, WOW 1 DAY PAINTING and Shack Shine.
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
BYOB: Build Your Own Business, Be Your Own Boss – Get Brian’s book on Amazon!
3 Value Bombs
1) Tell yourself the fears and worries you have and write them down. Then, talk to others about how to overcome those fears and worries.
2) You don’t need to be the “idea guy”. You don’t need something original. You just need to be part of a winning team and be the leader and champion of that idea.
3) Determine what’s the best for you. Building something from scratch is pretty exciting. But a lot of people just want to win, and the shortcut for that is franchising.
HubSpot: Learn how to grow better by connecting your people, your customers, and your business at HubSpot.com!
LinkedIn Advertising: Scale your marketing and grow your business with LinkedIn Advertising! And right, LinkedIn is offering a $100 credit on your next campaign. Visit LinkedIn.com/onfire to claim your credit!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: BYOB: Build Your Own Business, Be Your Own Boss with Brian Scudamore
[1:33] – Brian shares something that he believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- You have to make mistakes. As Steve Jobs used to say, you can connect the dots in your life, but it’s always backwards. You can’t connect the dots moving forward because no one knows how life unfolds.
- All hurdles, mistakes, and challenges in life teach us to work harder and smarter, to innovate in our businesses and in our lives.
[3:47] – Brian’s entrepreneurial journey.
- He grew up in San Francisco, then moved to Vancouver. He used to work in his grandparents’ store. He loved to see his grandparents run the business – it was fun and games, caring about customers.
- He learned more about business by starting a series of businesses on the side.
[6:08] – The reason why Brian is so passionate about helping others become entrepreneurs.
- Through a franchise model, he helps entrepreneurs by giving them a proven recipe and process
- He wrote the book BYOB: Build Your Own Business, Be Your Own Boss as a way to help encourage others to take the leap. The book goes over two paths that both makes sense, and identifies which one best suits you.
[8:46] – Brian’s message to people who think it’s too risky – that they can’t take a chance
- Look at the best options in front of you. Maybe it’s too risky to start a business from scratch, or maybe you should start a small business from scratch and earn your wings and build it up slowly.
- You don’t need to be the “idea guy”. You don’t need something original. You just need to be part of a winning team and be the leader and champion of that idea.
[11:40] – A timeout to thank our sponsors, HubSpot and LinkedIn Advertising!
[14:16] – Can anyone succeed as an entrepreneur?
- Many people have a story they tell themselves; their brain is limiting them. Then they find something that they can follow through with and succeed.
- Commit to something first.
- Tell yourself the fears and worries you have and write them down. Then, talk to others about how to overcome those fears and worries.
- Convince yourself that you’ve got nothing to lose.
[18:44] – Brian shares a story of a successful entrepreneur he helped.
- Miles, a franchise owner, came from a college pro-painting background
- He wasn’t sure where to start, and it was the franchise program – having a proven recipe – that allowed him to focus on growing his business
- Help people imagine big possibilities for themselves. If you imagine big possibilities, you never know, it might happen.
[22:54] – Brian talks about his new book, BYOB.
- BYOB: Build Your Own Business, Be Your Own Boss
- Most businesses don’t become million or billion dollar businesses.
- We are purpose driven people. We are here on this planet to do great things and inspire others to live their great dreams.
- Build something bigger and better together.
[28:32] – Brian’s key takeaway and call to action for Fire Nation!
- Download the Kindle version of Brian’s for $0.99 on Amazon.
- At the end of the book, do one of three things: Start down the path of investigating and doing something on your own; look at different franchises out there in the world, and join in on a franchise organization that fits you best; or look at not starting a business and close that chapter.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!