Calvin is an author, speaker, and social media entrepreneur. In Spring 2015, he quit his day-job to pursue his dream of working for himself and went selling door-to-door. He now owns a social media management agency for influencers. He just barely released his first book, which debuted on the Amazon top-100 of all books in the Success category. His book is called Fish Out of Water.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Calm and Headspace – Calvin’s business resources
- The One Thing and The Power of Habit – Calvin’s top business books
- Fish Out of Water – Calvin’s book
- Free Social Media Makeover – Free social media makeover
- Calvin’s website
- Calvin’s Twitter
- Calvin’s Facebook
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
- FreeGoalsCourse.co – A FREE 8 day course on how to set and accomplish your biggest goals!
3 Key Points:
- Don’t just “do” social media—learn the language of the platform.
- Never forget: your social media audience is comprised of people, not robots.
- The people who succeed are the ones who don’t quit.
- Billy Gene is Marketing: If you’re a marketer focused on helping local businesses, then check out this free training from my friend Billy Gene, where he’s going to show you the best performing Facebook and Instagram ads that get results!
- Organifi: An easy-to-use superfood powder that takes the best mother nature has to offer and fits it to your busy lifestyle. Visit Organifi.com and enter promo code FIRE to get 20% off your 30-day supply – PLUS, Organifi will ship you your own Freedom Journal as a special bonus!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:18] – It’s important to realize that Calvin is just a regular dude
- [01:49] – Whatever somebody’s journey is, they can go after it
- [03:10] – Calvin offers help to JLD every time they see each other
- [03:48] – Building valuable, genuine relationships
- [04:30] – Value Bomb Drop: People think of social media as a distribution network—don’t do that. Learn the language of the platform, and create content in that language. It’s the only way to build a following
- 05:18 – The Simon Sinek Approach – Start with Why
- [07:51] – What is something you’ve changed your mind about in the last 6 months? I used to think that I needed to be smarter than my team… turns out, they need to be smarter than me
- [09:15] – JLD asks about Periscope
- [10:31] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Doing door-to-door sales for 7 days straight and getting NOTHING
- [14:08] – “I have never felt more alone as an entrepreneur”
- [14:39] – Knocking on Frank’s door
- [17:01] – Calvin had to keep going
- [19:08] – “I’m going to do it because of you”
- [19:36] – The people who succeed are the ones who don’t quit
- [23:15] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Fear”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Done is better than perfect”
- What’s the personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Taking care of myself first”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Calm and Headspace
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – “The One Thing and The Power of Habit”
- 24:56 – Parting piece of guidance: “Make a decision and make it right”
- 25:22 – Connect with Calvin on Facebook and Twitter
- 25:30 – A FREE SOCIAL MEDIA MAKEOVER for Fire Nation!
- 26:04 – Fish Out of Water is the period you hit when you’re going after a goal
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Funnel On Fire: Create a funnel that converts!