Carlos is the Global Head of Social Media for BMC Software. Previously, he has led corporate social media for brands such as Winn-Dixie, Save-A-Lot, and LinkedIn. In addition, he is an industry speaker and thought leader on Snapchat and all things social media.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Carlos shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:07] – Carlos started in banking when he was 19.
- [01:18] – He lost his job in 2008 and started his own business.
- [01:32] – He lives in California with his family.
- [02:22] – What’s been going on in the Snapchat world?
- [04:55] – How do you generate revenue in your business? – Living in California is a “crash course lesson on the hustle.”
- [06:25] -Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Carlos started Jobs Direct USA.
- [08:55] – What do you want people to get from the lessons you learned in that difficult time? – Tenacity and believing in yourself.
- [09:09] – Carlos was watching The Pursuit of Happiness and saw his own family headed in that direction.
- [09:44] – He had to believe in himself and get through the rough patch.
- [09:58] – ‘No’ doesn’t mean ‘no’ forever.
- [10:09] – Planting seeds to see an eventual harvest
- [10:47] – You hit a point where people want to help you and provide you as a resource.
- [11:18] –Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: It was a Friday afternoon at the end of 2010
- [11:32] – He received a message on LinkedIn from a recruiter at Winn-Dixie.
- [11:53] – She asked him to help promote their job fair
- [12:10] – This moment defined his career
- [12:28] – The job fair brought out more candidates than what they got from print ads.
- [12:47] – Winn-Dixie ended up hiring him as a corporate social media manager.
- [14:05] – What do you want people to get out of your story? – A lot of entrepreneurs are just getting started
- [15:54] –Biggest weakness? –Not knowing how much to charge for services
- [16:30] – People see your value, but you don’t know what they are expecting to pay
- [17:09] – Biggest strength? –Not taking ‘no’ for an answer
- [17:46] – What has Carlos most fired up today? – Snapchat
- [20:58] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – Lack of money and resources
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – His Dad said “The worst fear is the fear that you anticipate.”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – Reading up on current trends, and “jumping in early”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Facebook Messenger
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Crush It
- Imagine you woke up in a brand new world, and all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – I would try to find a way to multiply that $500 through networking.
- Parting piece of advice – Keep your head focused on success and work your way backwards. Surround yourself with people that will inspire you to step up your game.
- 23:37 – TheCarlosGil on Snapchat, SnapChatforBusiness.com, and @carlosgil83 on Twitter
- 24:34 – 7meditation.com
3 Key Points:
- Build relationships and networks.
- ‘No’ never means ‘no’ forever.
- Picture your success, and work backwards.
- Facebook Messenger – Carlos’s favorite online tool
- Crush It – Carlos’s book recommendation
- SnapChatforBusiness.com – Discover how to utilize Snapchat for your business’
- 7meditation.com – A free meditation course
- Braintree: Looking for an easier way to accept payments from your customers? Braintree lets you accept all forms of payment in over one hundred and thirty currencies!
- SquareSpace: A simple way to create your next landing page, gallery, online store, or blog. Start your free trial today and get 10% off your first purchase when you enter offer code FIRE!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: A 15-day course that will share how to create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!
4) The Webinar Course: A 10-day course that will share how to create and present Webinars that convert!