Ryan is a media strategist and prominent writer on strategy and business. After dropping out of college at 19 to apprentice under Robert Greene, Author of The 48 Laws of Power, he went on to advise many best-selling authors and multi-platinum musicians.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Ego is the Enemy – Ryan’s new book
- The Score Takes Care of Itself and How Adam Smith Can Change Your Life – Ryan’s book recommendations
3 Key Points:
- Only worry about your personal progress. Ignore how others perceive you.
- Finding your craft will help you continue to improve and avoid arrogance.
- Reading helps you learn from the experiences of others.
- eVoice: See how eVoice can help you connect with your prospects, partners, and customers quickly and easily! eVoice is offering Fire Nation an extended, 60 day free trial – just visit eVoice.com and use promo code FIRE!
- SquareSpace: A simple way to create your next landing page, gallery, online store, or blog. Start your free trial today and get 10% off your first purchase when you enter offer code FIRE!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:00] – He was the director of marketing at American Apparel.
- [01:09] – He is finishing up his sixth book right now.
- [02:03] – How do you generate revenue in your business? – He makes money from royalties and advances with his books.
- [03:39] – What was your intro to stoicism? – He was introduced to stoicism through Dr. Drew.
- 05:22 – Ryan’s book, Ego is the Enemy – How our arrogance holds us back.
- [07:20] – Breaking down the difference between ego and confidence.
- [08:59] – Talk about a story from your book that epitomized this concept – “One cannot learn that which they already know.”
- [10:50] – How craftsmanship can suppress the ego — Focusing on your craft helps you find ways to improve.
- [16:26] – Expand upon meditation – If you don’t take care of yourself, your work will suffer.
- [16:54] – You have to look outside of yourself.
- [17:23] – Exercise can be meditative.
- [17:43] – Scheduling meditation as part of your workday.
- [17:53] – Set aside time for yourself every day.
- [18:11] – The value of going out into nature.
- [18:50] – John’s 4-mile jog through nature every day.
- [19:50] – What it feels like to be at the top of the hill, halfway through his jog.
- [20:06] – The sense of satisfaction that you can get from daily exercise or meditation.
- [20:47] – Why should we not believe our own hype? – Marketing is part of what we do.
- 22:26 – What resources do you recommend to people who want to know more? – The Score Takes Care of Itself
- 24:38 – Ryanholiday.net
- 24:42 – @RyanHoliday on Twitter and Ryan Holiday on Facebook
- 25:21 – Read Ego is the Enemy
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Funnel On Fire: Create a funnel that converts!