Dana Malstaff is a mother, author, coach, podcaster, and blind spot reducer. She is the founder of Boss Mom, and author of Boss Mom: The Ultimate Guide to Raising a Business & Nurturing Your Family Like a Pro. She provides tools and resources that help mom entrepreneurs lose the guilt and build thriving homes and businesses.
Subscribe to EOFire
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Trello – Dana’s recommended resource
- The Five Love Languages – Dana’s recommended book
- Boss-Mom.com/fire – Special materials from Dana for EOFire listeners
- Boss Mom – Dana’s book
- SelfMasteryJournal.com – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Don’t be afraid to put yourself in a very specific niche.
- A successful business starts with forming relationships.
- Find your one unique gift and infuse that gift with your passion.
- LegalZoom: Invest your time and money in your business, and use LegalZoom for the legal stuff. Save even more by entering EOF in the referral box at checkout!
- HostPapa: Looking for a powerful web hosting solution and cloud-based productivity tools for your business? Use promo code FIRE to save 15% off their shared web hosting packages!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:06] – Dana’s personal life involves “a lot of spit up and late nights.”
- [01:28] – “Raising babies and raising a business are so similar.”
- [02:00] – Boss Mom was born last year.
- [02:16] – “When you’ve got the right plan, it just works.”
- [02:58] – How do you generate revenue in your business? – A coaching program called the Boss Mom Academy.
- [05:55] -Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: A time right after she launched Boss Mom.
- [06:44] – She was building her business, but she got caught up in marketing and other things that slowed her down.
- [07:27] – What worked for other people didn’t work for her.
- [07:49] – Now she has come up with her own structure to build courses.
- [08:31] – Entrepreneurs can be hard on themselves.
- [08:50] – You have to hold yourself accountable and create deadlines.
- [09:34] – Put something out there, and have continuous communication with your clients.
- [10:08] – What’s one thing that you want people to get from your story? – Take a step back and make sure the method you are using works for you as a person.
- [11:01] – Hold yourself accountable and “get your butt moving.”
- [11:30] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: She realized her gift and her passion were not the same.
- [11:55] –She went to a conference in Irvine, which taught her she needed to find the thing that was easy for her to do.
- [12:51] – She realized she loved the art of good communication.
- [13:08] – She also had a gift to give people strong business strategies.
- [13:50] – She had to take that gift and infuse it with her passion for communication.
- [14:38] – Ask other people to tell you what makes you unique and what you bring to the table that others don’t.
- 15:30 – What’s one thing that you want people to get from your AH-HA moment? – Recognize the things that come easy to you that are hard to everyone else.
- [15:44] – Biggest weakness? – Wanting to do too many things at once with not enough time or resources.
- [16:58] – Biggest strength? – Decisiveness
- [17:18] – She weighs out her options and quickly makes a choice.
- [17:43] – What has Dana most fired up today? – The Boss Mom retreat
- [18:15] – Helping women work on their businesses.
- [18:40] – Boss-Mom.com/fire
- [20:53] – The Lightning Round
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – Business is people. Relationships are all about relating.
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – Drawing out processes with boxes and arrows.
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Trello
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Five Love Languages
- Imagine you woke up in a brand new world, and all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – I would spend time researching the community and the people and start engaging with those people. I would put the money towards creating an enticing brand. I myself would work on the course work and sales page and bring it all together.
- Parting piece of advice – Leave your Monday’s with space.
- [25:35] – Boss-Mom.com and the Boss Mom Facebook Group.
- [25:46] – Boss-Mom.com/fire
- [26:36] – Dana’s book Boss Mom
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!