David Baker is an author, speaker, and advisor to entrepreneurial creatives worldwide. He has written 5 books, advised 900+ firms, and keynoted conferences in 30+ countries. His work has been discussed in dozens of international publications.
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Farnam Street Blog – David’s small business resource
The Daily Stoic – David’s Top Business Book
Expertise.is – David’s website
How To Finally Win – Learn how to create your dream life one step at a time!
The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Value Bombs
1) Don’t spread yourself too thin — focus on one or two things and be an expert in that.
2) Never write or say something you’ll be ashamed of.
3) Be willing to set your pride to the side and learn what you have to in order to be successful.
DesignCrowd: If you’re not much of a designer, but are looking for ideas for your next logo, websites design or even your new business cards, then DesignCrowd can help! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire for a special one $100 VIP offer for Fire Nation!
Venetian Hotel: Next time you’re planning an epic trip to Las Vegas, remember there’s no better place to stay than The Venetian Las Vegas. For more information, visit Venetian.com!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[01:24] – David lives in Nashville, Tennessee
[01:30] – He’s been married for 37 years and has 2 children
[01:42] – He keeps his work and personal life separate
[03:28] – David’s area of expertise is in helping entrepreneurs make better business decisions
[03:48] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: Entrepreneurs are pulled in all kinds of directions every day, and that causes them to spread themselves thinly instead of making courageous decisions to focus in one or two things
[05:27] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: David was advising an agency of 40 people. They were in trouble and made really bad decisions – and if they were going to make it, they would have to cut deeply and quickly. David put together a plan that involved laying off 40% of the staff. David was in a meeting with the principal at the time, and the principal didn’t know he was projecting all of David’s ideas on the conference room screen, where all the other employees were having their meeting. The screen was flashing the names of the employees getting laid off the next day
[07:22] – Be careful when writing or saying things that can hurt people
[07:48] – Be real, be kind, and don’t write something that you would be ashamed of
[08:19] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: In the late 90’s, David felt like he was being stale as an advisor and he wasn’t earning much. He noticed several times that when his clients asked his point of view over the phone, he didn’t have a clearly articulated one to share. He realized that if he was going to position himself as an expert, he would have to think things through first. He came up with 54 topics and started a publication where he tackled each one of those topics monthly
[10:19] – Be willing to swallow your pride and learn the things that you don’t know
[10:43] – “Discipline is the biggest part of it”
[11:21] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “It’s that I’m working on my 6th book”
[12:25] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Moderate success as an employee”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “My answer should be Hell No or Hell Yes!”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Having 3 kinds of days”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Farnam Street Blog
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Daily Stoic – “it focuses my mind, it helps me think about gratitude”
[15:14] – Connect with David on his website: Expertise.is
[15:34] – Have courageous focus
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!