Russ Perry is the Founder of Design Pickle, the #1 unlimited and flat-rate graphic design service in the world, and author of The Sober Entrepreneur. He’s also a Certified Trainer with Wake Up Warrior.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Deep Work – Russ’ Top Business Book
The Sober Entrepreneur – Russ’ book
SoberEntrepreneur – Russ’ website
Connect with Russ on Instagram
The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
How To Finally Win – Learn how to create your dream life one step at a time!
3 Value Bombs
1) Never hesitate to invest in yourself — be it time or money.
2) Profits don’t mean all the glitz and glam — it’s usually the boring stuff that brings it in.
3) Whenever you feel down or at a low point, remember, there’s always a path upwards.
I Love Franchising: If you’re tired of Corporate America and want to step into owning your own business, then the time to make a move is NOW. …And why not make that move into franchising? Erik of I Love Franchising has personally helped over 1,000 people transition out of Corporate American and into Franchise Ownership, and you can take your first step towards doing the same today. Visit ILoveFranchising.com/fire to download Erik’s free eBook, The Franchising Playbook, today!
Go To Webinar: My BEST marketing strategy? Hosting LIVE WEBINARS. And Go To Webinar has the reliability and the features you need to deliver webinars your audience will love. For more information, visit GoToWebinar.com/fire!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[01:01] – Russ started DesignPickle in 2015
[03:03] – Invest in yourself what you have now
[03:18] – JLD talks about meeting Russ for the first time
[03:43] – Russ’ area of expertise is in scaling businesses
[04:47] – JLD talks about how he hesitated to invest in himself way back 2013
[05:55] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: “True profit lies in the boring things”
[06:32] – Russ learned that successful companies are able to do the boring things really well
[08:16] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: In 2012, Russ had an agency. He was at home when his wife came in the room… She held Russ’ phone up. He was exposed — his affair with his co-worker was exposed. Everything just came crashing down around him
[10:20] – “There’s always a path upwards”
[10:52] – Russ had to be radically honest with himself to create that internal foundation for his next journey
[12:08] – “Just don’t quit”
[14:44] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “It is seeing this really simple silly idea that I had… to see it take off”
[16:18] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Looking for answers externally”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “If you’re not prepared to advertise your product or service, then you don’t believe in it”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Not being afraid to collide with someone”
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Deep Work – “it’s an incredible book about the dangers, as well as the ideas and strategies, of being able to work deeply and thoughtfully in a totally distracting world”
[17:54] – Russ emphasizes to follow your own voice and trust it
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!