David is the go-to authority on how to smash a business plateau felt by experienced entrepreneurs and professionals. He is a speaker, consultant and host of the podcast, Smashing the Plateau. He is dedicated to helping business leaders remove the roadblocks that are keeping them from fully achieving their goals.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, David shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:03] – David started his professional life as a chemical engineer, then got into leadership and management roles in nonprofit organizations for 20 years. He decided to become an entrepreneur in 2006 focusing on management consulting for the nonprofit sector and private businesses
- [02:07] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: David discovered that leadership is lonely; social media causes anxiety because it looks like everyone else is making it – but not you
- [03:21] – As leaders, you don’t have anyone to talk to – no employees, partner or investors
- [04:04] – Breakthroughs do not happen quickly, but David breaks down the process to help you do what you need to do
- [04:43] – On his podcast, David asks his guests how they’ve gotten out of their plateau — the majority answer that they belong to a community of peers that support one another
- [05:17] – The community provides a continuous stream of knowledge and sharing between peers
- [06:05] – Sharing your problem and solution within the group prepares you for your presentation in your company and to your employees
- [06:27] – When you are open to others, you will get ideas on how you can overcome your roadblocks
- [06:37] – JLD’s takeaway from David’s story is to have patience and have a group that supports you
- [08:03] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: David spent 7 years studying engineering and working in that field. He was at his 2nd engineering job and was suddenly fired. David realized his mastermind-type group helped him transition to another job that led him to become an entrepreneur
- [09:29] – Entrepreneurship is risky, but you build a different skill set that can help you handle obstacles
- [10:51] – David says you should always have a Plan B and multiple scenarios that you can pull anytime the moment comes
- [11:48] – Greatest AH-HA Moment: Leadership is lonely, but it does not have to be — you have to know what success means to you in every area of your life and know how to measure it
- [12:49] – You can improve your tactics if you know how to measure your success
- [13:03] – JLD asks Fire Nation “what does success look like to you?”
- [13:40] – For David, success is having an impact on as many people as he can
- [14:28] – For JLD, success is having the freedom to choose what he wants to do
- 14:52 – Send an email to JLD and let him know what success looks like to you
- [15:40] – What are you most FIRED up about today? – “When I see people take the time to have live, face-to-face interactions”
- [16:08] – JLD says the world we live in today gives us the opportunity to break down age barriers between people
- [17:31] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Fear and not knowing enough people personally who are entrepreneurs”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “If you were not embarrassed by your first release of a product or service, you waited too long to release it”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Creating a daily plan the night before”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – the telephone, Skype
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Truth About Your Future by Ric Edelman
- 19:20 – Ric Edelman will be a guest on Smashing the Plateau, Episode 294
- 19:42 – Get the Seven Steps to Overcome the Loneliness of Leadership at Smashing the Plateau
- 19:51 – Connect with David on his website, LinkedIn, Twitter and call him at 212-731-0770 during business hours, Eastern time :)
- [20:22] – Make sure you have your own go-to people
3 Key Points:
- Leadership is lonely, but it doesn’t have to be.
- Know what success looks like to you so you can assess how you’re doing by your own standards.
- A support group can pull you OUT of your plateau.
- Skype – David’s small business resource
- The Truth About Your Future by Ric Edelman – David’s top business book
- Smashing the Plateau – David’s website
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- Smashing the Plateau – David’s podcast
- The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- Funnel On Fire – A free 8-day course on how to create a funnel that converts!
- HP: When you visit HP.com/fire and enter code FIRE at checkout you’ll get 15% off select HP workstations with Intel® Core™ i5 processor! This special discount is valid through July 31, 2017.
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Funnel On Fire: Create a funnel that converts!