Hernan is the founder and CEO of Wondery, a network of storytellers. Wondery’s podcasts include Sword & Scale, Hollywood & Crime, We Study Billionaires, Fall Of Rome and their latest hit, I Hate My Boss. Before that, Hernan was CEO of Fox International Channels, a $3 billion organization. But how did he get there after moving to the U.S. at 27 speaking broken English?
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Sales Force Inbox – Hernan’s small business resource
- The Master Switch by Tim Wu – Hernan’s top business book
- Wondery – Hernan’s website
- The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Progress is never linear, learn the right lessons from every setback you experience.
- If you want to grow in an area or learn a skill, allow yourself time to do that.
- Don’t try to impress people; just be yourself and do your best.
- Billy Gene is Marketing: My friend Billy Gene is hosting a free training where he’s going to build an entire Facebook advertising campaign from scratch – the ad copy, the landing pages, and everything in between! Why struggle trying to figure out Facebook ads on your own when you can just copy Billy Gene? Claim your spot today at INeedThisTraining.com!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:10] – Hernan lives in Los Angeles with his wife and two kids; he grew up in Argentina and has always looked at the US as a place where you can make it if you work hard
- [02:01] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Hernan is a big believer in understanding people through reading them—doing deep listening and reading body language. While working at Fox, he became very good at discerning if people would bring a negative or a positive influence into his life and work
- [03:25] – The primacy bias is becoming attracted to the first impression you have of a person and not getting to know who they really are
- 03:58 – Hernan says the book Emotional Vampires should be required reading for entrepreneurs
- 04:13 – JLD invites Fire Nation to listen to Hernan at Podcast Movement in Los Angeles in August! (Promo code FIRE gets you a discount on your ticket, Fire Nation!)
- [05:03] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: While at Fox, Hernan had the money to spend on his travels and business trips with his team – he would spend $25,000 before breakfast. At Wondery, they got their first advertising deal after four months and it was worth $25,000.
- [06:43] – Hernan compared the money they earned from his company to when he was still at Fox
- [07:02] – The second deal they got was $10,000 and Hernan started to doubt if his decision to become an entrepreneur was right — then money started to come and they were able to get over half a million a month in revenue.
- [07:45] – Aside from sponsorships, Wondery also has licensing agreements as a source of income
- [08:21] – Progress is never linear – view every setback as an opportunity to learn
- [09:01] – In the future, they have a plan to open a consumer revenue stream
- 09:36 – Greatest AH-HA Moment: Hernan wanted to decipher what makes the Serial Podcast so great. He binged listened to 4 episodes and got engrossed in it. He realized the more you listen to it, the more you become invested in it
- [10:12] – Hernan says it is the same in television, where you watch sitcoms and end up missing a few episodes until TiVo came along and allowed people to watch shows from beginning to end
- [11:24] – The AH-HA moment for Hernan was adapting that change in television for audio and creating audio shows where people can listen in when they want to
- [12:21] – Look back in history and you are going to find one parallel that is relevant today — this will give you the opportunity to succeed
- 13:01 – What are you most FIRED up about today? – The new show I Hate My Boss
- [13:24] – There is no advice show about the workplace and yet people spend 8 hours at work
- [14:11] – The hosts, Liz Dolan and Larry Seal, take listener questions and give advice
- [14:39] – They are getting 20 questions a week
- [15:07] – One question they had was about a woman who was a creative and working at her job for 9 years; the boss’s new wife was trying to micro-manage her work. She reported it to her boss and he just passed it to his wife
- [15:53] – The advice they gave is for her to leave the company
- [16:53] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Cozy job – lots of money, great travel expenses, and it kept getting interesting”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Don’t try to impress people because when you try to impress, you’re very likely to make a fool of yourself”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Working out five times a week and being a morning person”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Sales Force Inbox
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Master Switch by Tim Wu
- [20:11] – “Skate to where the puck is going – not where it has been” – Wayne Gretzky
- 20:40 – Connect with Hernan on Twitter!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Goals Course: Accomplish a meaningful goal!