Derek Gehl is an international speaker, author and serial entrepreneur whose companies have sold over $110,000,000 online since 1998. He’s helped thousands of other regular people jumpstart extraordinary online businesses, and today he leverages information marketing in a variety of niches to create scalable and profitable online businesses while living the Internet Lifestyle.
Subscribe to EOFire
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- WorkFlowy – Derek’s small business resource
- Influence – Derek’s recommended book
- Derek Gehl
3 Key Points:
- Build a business to support the lifestyle you want to have
- The fastest route to success is learning from successful people
- Time is a finite resource. Say ‘no’.
- Earth Class Mail: Move your snail mail to the cloud! Visit earthclassmail.com/fire
and enter promo code FIRE to get your first month of service free!
- Lenovo: Find & buy the right laptop, tablet, desktop or server!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:16] – Derek describes himself as a ‘lifestyle entrepreneur’
- [02:16] – Derek’s businesses are mostly in information marketing. He helps experts in various fields turn their knowledge into scalable content
- [04:00] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Realizing for the first time that he’d built himself a job – and that he had no life
- [05:53] – Why are you creating a business? What do you want from your life?
- [07:05] – “We build a business to create a lifestyle”
- [07:12] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Meeting Cory Riddell and finding a mentor
- [09:55] – The fastest way to success is to find someone who’s already successful and learn from them
- [11:11] – Biggest weakness? – “Not saying ‘no’ often enough”
- [11:54] – Biggest strength? – “The ability to see and create opportunities where others don’t”
- [12:30] – What has Derek most fired up today? “Where we are today with technology – and the lifestyle that we can create using the Internet”
- [15:26] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Being programmed to get a job and a paycheck”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Quit reinventing the wheel”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Planning my day every morning”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – WorkFlowy
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Influence
- Imagine you woke up tomorrow morning in a brand new world, identical to earth, but you knew no one. You still have all the experiences and knowledge you currently have – your food and shelter taken care of – but all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – Jump online and find a passionate niche of people. Then create some simple opt-in offers and use really killer magnetic copy to sell those opt-in offers. Then, once I’ve captured their emails I’d use email to build a relationship, learn their problems… and start affiliate marketing.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!