Dianna Huff, president of Huff Industrial Marketing, Inc., helps small, family-owned industrial manufacturers market, grow and succeed. She’s also the author of the recently published Cash Flow for Freelancers: an 87-page guide for learning how to ride the highs and lows of project-based, variable income with less gut-wrenching uncertainty.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- You Need A Budget – Dianna’s small business resource
- Raising The Bar – Dianna’s recommended book
- Dianna Huff
3 Key Points:
- Plan and focus. You can have an epiphany – but you still have to do the work.
- Connect with people that share your passion.
- Create your own vision of success.
- eVoice: No need for two phones – just get a second line added to your mobile phone! Use promo code FIRE for a 60-day free trial!
- Bench: Let Bench handle your bookkeeping so you don’t have to. Get 20% off your first 6 months of bookkeeping at bench.co/fire!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:41] – Dianna put herself through college making sails; she’s passionate about manufacturing
- [02:39] – “Everybody thinks all the great ideas come out of MIT. But let me tell you, there’s a great deal of innovation that comes off the factory floor.”
- [03:53] – Dianna generates revenue by helping small manufacturing businesses create fantastic websites. She also earns a retainer for strategic consulting for some companies and publishes guides through Thoughtful Books.
- [06:02] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Closing her copywriting business and going into the website overhaul business – and losing 65% of her income overnight
- [08:38] – At rock bottom, Dianna started cycling every day through parts of New Hampshire she’d never been to before
- [10:38] – “I realized I was capable of so much… I could feel that tiny entrepreneurial flame again.”
- [11:31] – You don’t have to hit the reset button… you can slowly wade into a new adventure
- [12:41] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Realizing that she needed to stop complaining
- [15:08] – Biggest weakness? – Focusing on the negative
- [15:23] – Biggest strength? – The ability to see things other people don’t see
- [15:38] – What has Dianna most fired up today?: “That I’ve changed so much, and I feel so ready for the next phase of my life.”
- [16:38] – “Don’t give up. Have your own vision and make it a reality.”
- [17:45] – “Am I on a path that I want to be on?”
- [20:21] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Following other people’s vision of success.”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Say who you work with, not what you do.”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I create a plan every Sunday night for the next week.”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – You Need A Budget
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Raising The Bar
- Imagine you woke up tomorrow morning in a brand new world, identical to earth, but you knew no one. You still have all the experiences and knowledge you currently have – your food and shelter taken care of – but all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – Assuming this world would only last for 7 days, I’d sell my laptop and rent a baby grand piano. Then, I’d invite everyone in the area to bring their instruments to my open house and sing and dance. Then, for the next 3 days I’d cook, and keep inviting people to come and talk to me and share their stories. On the last couple of days I’d enjoy the company of all these people that I’d met.
- [24:50] – Parting piece of guidance? “Create a vision, trust in yourself, and make it happen.”
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!