Two years ago Dmitry Dragilev single-handedly grew a startup from 0 to 40M page views through press outreach and got acquired by Google. Now he has translated his knowhow into JustReachOut – a SaaS launched early 2016, which is now used by 3000+ small businesses to pitch relevant journalists and get press coverage without the help of PR firms.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Growth Hackers – Dmitry’s small business resource
- How Will You Measure Your Life – Dmitry’s Top Business Book
- Just Reach Out – Dmitry’s website
- Criminally Prolific – Dmitry’s site and blog
- Funnel on Fire – An 8-day course on how to create a funnel that converts!
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Doing press relations is a learned skill that must be practiced.
- There are many ways you can publicize your content and business for yourself; you do NOT need to rely on a press relations firm or person.
- In doing a crowdsourcing campaign, check the backlinks and connect with those who have written about a previous, similar campaign.
- Sun Basket: Sun Basket delivers delicious, healthy recipes and fresh ingredients straight to your door! Visit SunBasket.com/fire today and get your first 3 meals FREE!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:15] – The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- [01:11] – Dmitry lives in New York with his family and considers himself an introvert
- [01:43] – Dmitry’s introduction to PR was when he joined a company in Silicon Valley and worked as an intern
- [02:35] – The biggest thing for anyone to remember is PR can be a learned skill and must be practiced
- [03:15] – Through his work, Dmitry has become friends with well-known individuals and has written over 13,000 articles and did press outreach on his own
- [03:55] – You can do PR on your own
- [04:12] – Dmitry shares a student’s experience who had no PR background at all
- [04:48] – Martin Boeddeker, one of his students was an entrepreneur and wanted to try PR work and Dmitry advised him to answer a question in Quora
- [05:35] – His student’s answer got bumped up in the thread and, in 24 hours, he got 650,000 views, which translated to the first 100 sign-ups for his software
- [06:01] – Publicity can happen without having to do much PR
- [06:35] – JLD talks about the Kickstarter Campaign for The Mastery Journal
- [07:20] – Dmitry advises JLD to look into all the biggest campaigns that are similar to The Mastery Journal and look at the back links
- [08:31] – Make a list of 10 or 15 different influencers who have linked to the campaign
- [08:53] – Dmitry uses Ahrefs and Moz to check backlinks
- [09:31] – Also, sort through the domain authority and choose those with a hundred
- [10:00] – Check Google on who covered the campaign
- [10:41] – You can contact them and pitch your campaign
- [11:20] – Do 2-3 follow-ups every 2 days and make your subject line strong
- [11:46] – Dmitry shares the strong subject lines that he likes to use including “RE:” and “In response to”
- [12:28] – A spelling or typo mistake in an article gets 80-90% open rate
- [13:01] – Dmitry uses FollowUp.cc and Mixmax for follow up services
- [14:11] – You can check the backlinks by using the tools on any website
- [14:20] – Buzzsumo can also check backlinks
- [14:52] – Use the filtering options, specifically, the domain authority
- [15:33] – Look at the profiles of those who wrote the article and find out how to reach them
- [15:53] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? – “Helping small business people, page journalists and influencers get featured outside of their circle of friends”
- [16:43] – Dmitry would still be doing what he is doing even if nothing was going to come out of it for him
- [17:37] – JLD shares that people should just be bold and reach out with their content
- [17:50] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Lack of self-belief”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “If you’re not gonna get any money out of this venture… and in the end it’s just gonna go down… will you still be doing this right now?”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I meditate, do yoga and turn off the clutter on my phone and at home”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Growth Hackers
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – How Will You Measure Your Life by Clayton Christensen
- [23:34] – Dmitry shares a conversation he had with his grandfather about keeping relationships
- [24:17] – Go to Quora and give your best answer or go to Help a Reporter and just get your feet wet
- [25:09] – 50% off for lifetime at Just Reach Out
- [26:27] – Funnel on Fire – Learn how to create a funnel that converts!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!