Dr. Susan is a former emergency room doctor turned speaker and author. In her book, Tough Cookies Don’t Crumble: Turn Set-Backs into Success, she outlines the strategies that transformed her from college drop-out and secretary to emergency room doctor and entrepreneur. She now helps leaders transform obstacles into victory teaching perseverance and resilience.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Susan O’Malley – Susan’s website
- Tough Cookies Don’t Crumble, Turn Setbacks into Success – Susan’s book
- Free Podcast Course – A free 15 day course on how to Create, Grow & Monetize YOUR Podcast!
- Trello – Susan’s recommended resource
- The Success Principles by Jack Canfield – book recommended by Susan
3 Key Points:
- You are NEVER too old, it is NEVER too late.
- Do NOT confuse struggle with failure.
- Do the one thing that only you can do.
- Organifi: Organifi Green Juice is packed with 11 energy-bumping superfoods and herbs, which means you’ll get long-lasting energy throughout the day. See for yourself: visit Organifi.com and save 20% with promo code FIRE!
- Billy Gene: Eager to learn the strategies that will help you successfully create and grow your own business? My friend Billy Gene has the solution. Visit CantLearnThisInSchool.com to sign up for your free trial of Gene Pool Elite today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- 00:15 – Free Podcast Course – A free 15 day course on how to Create, Grow & Monetize YOUR Podcast!
- [01:15] – Susan lives in Connecticut with her husband and is a mother to 3 and a grandmother to 5
- [01:33] – Susan left the emergency room to open a medical spa
- [02:00] – Susan also has a speaking career
- [02:26] – Susan’s area of expertise is being able to pursue her goals no matter what age she is
- [02:57] – Susan realized she wanted to be a doctor and shares the problems she faced in achieving that goal.
- [04:59] – Susan was 35 years old, pregnant, and did not have a husband
- [05:05] – When people asked her what she was going to do, Susan answered, “Everything that I ever wanted in my life came at the same time. I’m going for it”.
- [05:32] – Susan chose to be an ER doctor because the schedule gave her time to be with her son, but realized later that she did not love being there
- [06:47] – Susan wanted to open her own business and address her own need in regards to aging
- [07:00] – JLD echoes Susan’s “You are never too old, it is never too late”
- [11:50] – Susan’s defining moment was when she refused money from a rude customer
- [12:25] – JLD reiterates the importance of following your gut and standing up for what you believe is right
- [12:55] – Susan got a short and long term lesson from her experience:
- [13:45] – Susan’s greatest AH-HA moment was when she realized that she helped change peoples’ lives through her book
- [15:40] – “If I went out of business tomorrow, anybody else could do the same things that I was doing, but I am the only person who could have written that book”
- [17:15] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I didn’t know I could”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “One day you’ll be 50 years old, you’ll either be a doctor or you won’t, but you will still be 50”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I believe in coaching”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Trello
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Success Principles by Jack Canfield
- [20:15] – If you can solve your problem with money, you don’t have a problem
- 20:23 – Connect with Susan through her website
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Webinar Course: Create a Webinar that converts!