Dustin is an entrepreneur and the Co-Founder of Southwestern Consulting™, a sales and leadership coaching and business development consulting firm that helps clients in 21 countries drive sales performance through the use of time-tested principles and relevant data.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
iPhone – Dustin’s Business Resource
Navigate 2.0: Selling the way people like to buy – Dustin’s Top Business Book
Southwestern Consulting – Dustin’s business
Connect with Dustin on his website
The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Value Bombs
1) You cannot teach what you don’t know, and you cannot lead where you won’t go.
2) Selling is the transference of emotions and expectations.
3) Keep your principles. Stay focused on your principles.
ViralSweep: Build and run your own sweepstakes and contests that you can put right on your website! To show you the power of ViralSweep, we’re running the Ignite Your Fire Sweepstakes! To read official rules and enter, visit EOFire.com/win! Open to US residents only.
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[02:32] – Dustin’s expertise lies in the fundamentals of leadership and selling
[03:00] – Joined Southwestern 15 years ago selling educational products door to door
[03:54] – “You cannot teach what you don’t know, and you cannot lead where you won’t go”.
[04:35] – When in school, Dustin hand wrote his company’s sales talk and thought of the various objections that he was likely to get, and multiple answers to counter those objections
[05:19] – When it comes to finances, everyone has a certain amount of money, so really it’s not about how much you have, it’s about how you allocate it
[06:15] – Worst Entrepreneurial moment: Dustin moved to San Francisco in 2006. He didn’t have many resources, just a phonebook, passion, and the support of his wife and friends. Dustin had to take on a lot of debt, fire people, and change compensation plans to keep the company afloat. The most difficult part was keeping everyone from quitting.
[10:06] – “Listen to your clients. Listen to your team. The clients are the ones who give you the best ideas”
[10:14] – “You have to innovate or you die”
[11:24] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA moment: Matthew Fairy pushed Dustin and his colleague to come up with content for a coaching program, which led to the foundation of his coaching business
[12:56] – As a leader you can never stop selling, listening to objections and innovating
[13:50] – What are you most fired up about right now? “We have over the past eleven years created an amazing foundation”.
[17:09] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Nothing”.
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Selling is the transference of emotions and expectations that your prospect will buy from you while maintaining 0% pressure on your prospect”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Not letting other people tell me what I can or cannot do” and “Identifying a fear and doing it”.
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – iPhone
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Navigate 2.0: Selling the way people like to buy
[20:56] – Keep your principles. Stay focused on your principles.
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!