Eric’s humorous, practical blog, “Barking Up the Wrong Tree”, presents science-based answers and expert insights on how to be awesome at life. Over 300,000 people subscribe to his weekly newsletter. His first book, “Barking Up The Wrong Tree”, is a WSJ bestseller.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- RSS Feeds – Eric’s small business resource
- Sapiens – Eric’s Top Business Book
- Barking Up the Wrong Tree – Eric’s book
- Barking Up the Wrong Tree – Eric’s blog
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
- How To Finally Win – Learn how to create your dream life one step at a time!
3 Key Points:
- Be resolute in your quest for knowledge; learn from the experts.
- Before jumping into a new field, make sure your finances are in order.
- Be transparent with your audience.
- Billy Gene: Join Billy Gene on his free training where he’s going to show you the same process he’s used working with some of the world’s largest franchises to get ROI on Facebook ads. Claim your spot today at INeedThisTraining.com!
- Organifi: I’ve been researching plant-based supplements that will help me not just feel my best, but also perform my best, and Organifi’s protein is smooth, filling and the vanilla flavor is yummy! See for yourself: visit Organifi.com and save 20% with promo code FIRE!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:03] – Eric has been busy with his blog and book
- [01:27] – His area of expertise is talking to experts and extracting the best information about how to get better at life
- [01:56] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Resourcefulness is one trait that doesn’t get enough credit
- [02:49] – When Eric talks to people, he sees them on a constant quest
- [03:30] – He appreciates when a resourceful person has exhausted all means to get an answer
- [04:44] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Eric was working in the video game industry. His blog was growing by leaps, but he felt he didn’t want to be in video games forever. He decided to quit his job and focus on the blog. Unfortunately, apart from his savings, he didn’t think about the money. He decided that the next step was to write a book. Eric moved to his parents’ house in the middle of nowhere for 6 months and struggled mentally
- [07:59] – The only stream of income Eric had was through his blog’s Amazon affiliate account
- [08:05] – He was definitely going into the red if it wasn’t for the book proposal
- [08:47] – Eric’s shift from the blog to the book proposal was extreme
- [11:12] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Eric was talking to an author and asking about the process after taking a book deal. The author said he spent a year reading – something Eric didn’t account for. Then, Eric talked to another author who said the same thing – and then another, and another. He realized he already had 7 years of reading from his time posting on his blog
- [13:35] – Eric realized he already had all the information he needed
- [15:00] – Eric’s blog didn’t emerge fully-formed; he had to do his own research
- [15:53] – He started out by finding things on the Internet that were interesting to him and other people
- [17:40] – Eric started to contact experts in different fields to get the best information he could find for his blog
- [19:07] – “Be transparent along the way”
- [19:24] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “The fact that I’ve done it before and I’ve given up on it ”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “When you enter a company, look around, and look at the people who are there. Realize that you’re going to become like them and they’re not going to become like you. If those people are not the people you want to be, it’s not going to work”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Obsessiveness”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – RSS Feeds
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Sapiens – “you kind of get a sum up of the history of humanity in a very accessible format”
- [21:52] – Sit down and think about traits you’re not happy about and imagine a context where these negative traits can be positive
- 22:13 – Connect with Eric on his blog
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Goals Course: Accomplish a meaningful goal!